Position Type: Non-MLS
Library Type: Public
Summary of responsibilities:
Interacts directly with library users at the circulation and reference desks, performing a variety of professional and clerical tasks.
Assistant Library Director and Library Director.
Ability to give friendly, expert information and reference service to patrons of all ages and walks of life. Possesses sound judgment, initiative, tact and courtesy and can communicate effectively with patrons and staff. Knowledge of library principals, methods, techniques, procedures and reader interests. Pays attention to detail and has the ability to work as a team with a small staff, changing jobs and focus to best meet the needs of the patrons.
College education required or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Must be able to work evenings and Saturdays.
Characteristic duties and responsibilities:
- Maintains good relations with public, staff, and volunteers.
- Greets, assists, and refers library users according to their needs and performs a wide range of clerical public contact duties.
- Uses library automated circulation system to lend materials to library users including checking materials in and out, processing holds, registering borrowers, collecting fees, informing patrons of the status of their accounts, and conveying information about library policy.
- Opens and closes library building, prepares and counts money, keeps daily records of circulation and activities, answers telephone.
- Instruct patrons needing help on library computers.
- Processes overdue books, contacting and billing patrons and maintaining records.
- Handles incoming and outgoing mail.
- Assists patrons using library equipment, performing basic maintenance on copiers and computers.
- Handles Interlibrary Loan requests.
Reference and Reader's Advisory:
- Answers reference questions and conducts research as needed
- Assists patrons on the selection and interpretation of library materials.
- Selects and delivers books to homebound patrons.
Assists with the Library Collection:
- Participates in material selection by reading and evaluating, reviews, patron requests, and popular trends.
- Makes recommendations for improvements in services and collection.
- Catalogs and processes new books.
- Selects and processes books for rotating collections.
- Processes, rotates and withdraws periodical materials.
- Shelves, reads, and organizes materials collection.
- Weeds and withdraws material from the collection.
- Repairs books.
Assists with Library Program:
- Schedules, plans and conducts programs and events for patrons and volunteers.
- Collects and compiles library usage statistics.
- Conducts education and training of patrons and patron groups.
- Writes procedures.
- Solicits donations.
- Creates and maintains displays and bibliographies, writes newsletters, brochures, and book reviews.
- Decorates facility.
- Attends workshops, meetings and conferences as appropriate.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.