Assistant Library Director
Position Type: Non-MLS
Library Type: Public
Summary of responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the Library Director, performs professional and technical work in operating and maintaining the public library.
Supervises: Public service staff and volunteers in conjunction with the Director.
Knowledge of public library principals, methods, techniques, procedures and reader interests, and the ability to translate these into everyday operations. Knowledge of current library technologies and applications. Ability to give friendly, expert service to patrons of all ages and walks of life. Possesses initiative, sound judgment, tact, courtesy, and can communicate effectively with patrons and staff. Has the ability to foster teamwork among staff and volunteers, prioritizing and focusing to give the best possible service to patrons and meet the needs of the institution.
College education required or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Must be able to work evenings and Saturdays.
Characteristic duties and responsibilities:
- Maintains good relations with public, staff, and volunteers
- Assists Director in formulation of library goals, policies and procedures.
Writes, develops, and reviews procedures
- Oversees and is responsible for varied and complex systems such as the operation of the circulation desks, and book acquisitions. Manages overdue materials and interlibrary loan requests, delegating when appropriate, or discharging the work herself
- Works primarily at the Main Desk, greeting and assisting patrons, and handling all aspects of the library operation
- Contributes expertise to collection development by reading and evaluating reviews, patrons' requests, and popular trends and selecting books for the collections. Weeds, withdraws and repairs books as needed
- Oversees the operation of the library computer network, performing routine maintenance and contacting techs for repairs and advice. Researches and troubleshoots computer problems, develops technology plans, and advises Director on library needs
- Maintains contacts with library automation, payroll, and book vendors
- Participates in personnel selection and management
- Handles patron management referrals from subordinate staff
- Makes recommendations for improvements in services and collection
- Keeps informed of developments and participates in activities of professional and community organizations
- Manages library operations and facility in the absence of the Director, handling daily monies, opening and closing procedures, and staff and patron questions
- Researches, sets up, and maintains exhibits by contacting community members and arranging for displays
- Decorates and maintains the physical facility
- Attends workshops, meetings and conferences as appropriate
- Performs additional duties as assigned and as needed