Stone School House, c.1820 - Georgetown, Sagadahoc County
Located east of the Kennebec River in rural southern Georgetown, the Stone School House is a small rectangular one-story building with a side-gabled roof. It is a rare example of a stone school house in Maine. The front facade has an entry placed to the left of two small windows. General Joseph Berry oversaw the construction of the school, which was completed by Irish stonemasons. Berry became a prominent shipowner and building in Georgetown and Bath. Georgetown was originally known as Parker's Island, named after John Parker who arrived here in 1668.