Infectious Disease Prevention Program
The State of Maine’s five-year Integrated HIV Prevention and Care Plan
This plan outlines the goals and strategies that will be used to address the HIV epidemic in Maine. The key goals of the plan are:
- Diagnose all people with HIV as early as possible.
- Treat people with HIV rapidly and effectively to reach viral suppression to improve health outcomes and prevent transmission to others.
- Prevent new HIV transmission using biomedical approaches and harm reduction practices.
- Respond quickly to potential HIV outbreaks to get prevention and treatment services to people who need them.
Syphilis cases are on the rise in Maine, especially among women of reproductive age. Be sure to test for all STDs regularly. If you are pregnant, be sure to test for syphilis at your first prenatal visit or at least once in your pregnancy and get treated early to keep you and your baby healthy.
- CDC CS info
- Congenital Syphilis (CS) HAN
- Syphilis HAN
- Syphilis Informational Flyer
- Congenital Syphilis Informational Flyer
Frequently Asked Questions
- To learn more about how to access HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) and HIV post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) in the state of Maine please visit PrEP 207
Guidance and Recommendations
- Syphilis Screening Algorithm (PDF)
- Syphilis Treatment Recommendations (PDF)
- Maine Syringe Service Program Certification Application Guidance (PDF)
- Guidelines to prevent transmission of HIV, hepatitis B, and hepatitis C through medical/dental procedures (Word) | also in PDF
- Expedited Partner Therapy for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea
- 2021 STI Treatment Guidelines (PDF)
- Maine 2021 STI Treatment Guidelines (PDF)
- CDC overview of hepatitis C symptoms, testing, transmission, prevention, treatment, and reinfection (PDF) for injection drug users
- Guidelines to prevent transmission of HIV, hepatitis B, and hepatitis C through medical/dental procedures (Word) | PDF
- Hepatitis C & Substance Use Disorders
- Algorithm for Screening and Treating Hepatitis C In Pregnant and Postpartum Women (PDF)
- Algorithm for Screening and Treating Hepatitis C in Perinatally Exposed Infants (PDF)
- Hepatitis C and Pregnancy A Guide for Pregnant People with Hep C (PDF)
- Gonorrhea Surveillance Report - 2017 (PDF) | 2018 (PDF) | 2019 (PDF)
- Syphilis Surveillance Report - 2017 (PDF) | 2018 (PDF) | 2019 (PDF) | 2020 (PDF) | 2021 (PDF)
- HIV Surveillance Report - 2018 (PDF) | 2019 (PDF) | 2021 (PDF)
Syringe Service Programs
HIV testing and care services locator Web tool
To help fight this disease, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services unveiled the HIV testing and care services locator Web tool through AIDS.gov.
By entering a ZIP code in the web tool, a Google map is generated to show the locations of services like HIV testing sites, health centers and substance abuse clinics.
Not all sites are listed with this search tool. Please call your health care provider or call Maine CDC office at 1-800-821-5821 for additional resources.
For more information on program contacts and information.