HIV, STD, and Viral Hepatitis Program
Program Contacts and Information - Maine HIV/STD Surveillance Program
The HIV surveillance program is a federally funded state program responsible for collecting, analyzing, interpreting, and disseminating HIV/AIDS data reported by Maine healthcare providers and laboratories.
- Collect, analyze, interpret, and disseminate Maine HIV/AIDS surveillance data that are used for planning care and prevention activities, promoting awareness, and educating the public about the scope of the local HIV/AIDS epidemic.
- Maintain highest possible levels of security and confidentiality of HIV data collected by the program.
- Provide data driven recommendations for policy makers.
- Respond to requests for data used to design, implement and evaluate interventions or data necessary for research.
- Number, rates, proportion, ratios and measures of HIV effects for: newly diagnosed cases, prevalence cases, deaths, late HIV diagnoses, and infected cases in particular demographic or risk factor categories as presented in the following reports:
- Monthly data updates
- Quarterly HIV reports
- Annual Surveillance Reports
- Annual Epidemiologic Reports
- HIV data power point presentations
Data Collected and Available:
- Demographic, HIV risk factor, and HIV related laboratory data for HIV resident in Maine.
- Number of newly diagnosed HIV cases; 59
- Number of new AIDS diagnoses; 27
- Number of prevalent cases; 1,563
- 2009 Deaths 12
Cross Program Collaborations
Collaborations with other programs facilitate new case identification, collection of surveillance data, and confidential partner notification
The program currently receives all funding (106, 383 annually) from the federal government as part 2008-2012 federal grant for HIV core surveillance
1.05 Full Time Employees
- 100% funding, Technical Assistance, Reporting of deidentified data use to develop the national HIV epidemic, deduplication of cases
Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists
- Membership, Technical Assistance, Interjurisdictional Program Support
- Technical Assistance