Water Resources - Frequently Asked Questions

Q1. How can I get my well water tested?     Back

Depending on what type of test you want, you have several options. Contact the Maine Department of Health and Human Services or call the testing lab at 207-287-1716. For a newly drilled well the department recommends a new well evaluation test, also known as a BA test. Different agencies within the State of Maine provide information on well water safety.

Q2. I want to have a well drilled. Can you recommend a driller?     Back

There are well drillers listed in the Yellow Pages. Select a few to talk to for cost estimates; ask if they are licensed in the State. You can check this at the Maine Water Well Commission, a board in the DHHS Drinking Water Program at (207) 287-5699.

Q3. I have a complaint about or problem with my well; who should I contact?     Back

If you know who drilled the well, contact the well driller directly. In most cases this should resolve the problem. However, if you are unable to resolve the problem with the driller, contact the Maine Water Well Commission.

Q4. I have purchased a house with a well. How do I find out who drilled my well if the current homeowner doesn't know?     Back

Sometimes you may never get the answer. One place to check is on the inside of the well cap. Sometimes drillers and well installers will leave that information there. You may also request information about the well from the Maine Geological Survey's Water Well Database.

Q5. Where does ground water come from?     Back

For a good general introduction to ground water, refer to U.S. Geological Survey Circular 1186, Sustainability of ground-water resources.

Last updated on April 9, 2012