Membership Within Each District
Any library may join the Maine Regional Library System if it meets the following criteria:
- be a part of an organization or institution that has a legal basis for operation and provides information resources;
- have a written mission statement and service objectives;
- have an established funding base;
- be authorized to participate by its appropriate administrative authority;
- have established and posted hours of service;
- have a fixed location;
- have a designated staff person or volunteer with library services training and who is responsible for the library;
- have an organized collection of information and material accessible for use by its designated clientele and/or the public;
- agree to the terms and conditions of the Maine Regional Library System membership agreement as established by the Maine Library Commission. This agreement shall include certification by each member library that it meets the minimum eligibility requirements for participation, agrees to participate in interlibrary loan activities within the state in accordance with the National Interlibrary Loan Code for the United States and agrees to provide data on the use of regional and statewide library materials and services.
Approved by the Maine Library Commission, May 15, 2006
Membership is free and open to all academic, public, school, and special libraries in Maine.
Membership is free and open to all academic, public, school, and special libraries in the seven counties (Androscoggin, Franklin, Lincoln, Kennebec, Oxford, Sagadahoc, and Somerset) served by the Central Maine Library District.
The Northeastern Maine Library District is a network of academic, public, school, and special libraries in Aroostook, Hancock, Knox, Penobscot, Piscataquis, Waldo, and Washington Counties.
To join, contact the NMLD office at (207) 947-8336.
Membership is free and open to all academic, public, school, and special libraries meeting the following criteria in the Cumberland and York counties and selected Oxford county towns (Brownfield, Denmark, Fryeburg, Hiram, and Lovell) served by the Southern Maine Library District.
To join, contact the SMLD office at (207) 871-1766 or 1-800-649-7696.