Central Penobscot Region - Management Plan
The Maine Bureau of Parks and Lands has adopted a 15-year management plan for approximately 79,000 acres of public lands in the Central Penobscot region, crafted with the invaluable input from the Advisory Committee as well as the general public.. Lands in the plan include Nahmakanta Public Lands northeast of Moosehead Lake, Seboeis Public Lands surrounding Seboeis Lake between Brownville and Millinocket, and public lands in the Wassataquoik valley east of Baxter State Park.
Central Penobscot Region Management Plan - May 27, 2014
The Plan is available for download below, by individual sections. Please note file sizes. To read these files you will need a copy of the free Adobe Reader software. Download a free copy here.
- I Introduction (PDF 914KB)
- II Planning Process (PDF 142KB)
- III Planning Context (PDF 509KB)
- IV Resource Issues, Opportunities, Recommendations (PDF 1.84MB)
- V Monitoring and Evaluation (PDF 113KB)
- Appendices (PDF 1.61MB)
- Bradford LaGrange - Infrastructure (PDF 533KB)
- Bradford-LaGrange - Dominant Use Allocations (PDF 101KB)
- East Turner Mountain, Wassataquoik & Millinocket Forest - Dominant Use Allocations (PDF 609KB)
- East Turner Mountain, Wassataquoik & Millinocket Forest - Infrastructure (PDF 618KB)
- Grey Ledge Deadwater & Seboeis Plantation - Dominant Use Allocations (PDF 142KB)
- Grey Ledge Deadwater & Seboeis Plantation - Infrastructure (PDF 189KB)
- Nahmakanta - Dominant Use Allocations (PDF 8MB)
- Nahmakanta - Infrastructure (PDF 1.5MB)
- Seboeis - Dominant Use Allocations (PDF 460KB)
- Seboeis - Infrastructure (PDF 465KB)
A public scoping meeting was held July 28, 2011 in Milo.
Minutes (PDF 102 KB)
An Advisory Committee (AC) was formed in summer 2011. The AC is made up of individuals who know the resources of the area or can provide specific guidance on the needs and desires of certain user groups.
An advisory committee meeting on Nahmakanta Public Lands was held September 28, 2011 from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. at the Dover-Foxcroft Municipal Building.
Minutes (PDF 109 KB)
An advisory committee meeting on the Nahmakanta and Seboeis Public Lands was held May 22, 2012 in Dover-Foxcroft.
05-22-12 Minutes (PDF 156 KB)
An advisory committee meeting to review the initial draft Central Penobscot region Management Plan was held May 1, 2013 from 1:00 to 4:30 p.m. in Dover-Foxcroft.
05-01-2013 Minutes (PDF 142KB)
An advisory committee meeting to discuss proposed road system changes within the Nahmakanta Unit was held June 19, 2013 from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. in Dover-Foxcroft.
06-19-2013 Minutes (PDF 116KB)
A public meeting to listen to comments on the Final Draft Central Penobscot Region Management Plan recommendations and to answer questions was held December 4, 2013 from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. in Milo.
12-04-2013 Minutes (PDF 128KB)
Natural Resource Inventories were conducted by the Maine Natural Areas Program in preparation for the planning process:
- Regional Overview (PDF 2.19MB)
- Nahmakanta (PDF 1.32MB)
- Seboeis (PDF 772KB)
- Smaller Units (PDF 4.36MB)
Maine Bureau of Parks and Lands
18 Elkins Lane, Harlow Building
22 State House Station
Augusta, Maine 04333