Planning and Acquisition Process
The Planning, Acquisitions, and Special Services Unit supports the management and operations of Maine State Parks and Public Lands and monitors conservation easements held by the Bureau of Parks and Lands. Responsibilities include:
- Developing management plans required by Maine statute and forest certifications for Public Lands, working with Bureau land managers, foresters, and recreation rangers as well as adjunct agency ecologists and wildlife biologists. This involves a robust public process.
- Providing interpretive services and publications to connect the public to the natural resources and opportunities available on Parks and Public Lands.
- Providing GIS and other geo-spatial data and mapping services to the Bureau's planners, land managers, and foresters.
- Managing the Bureaus property records.
- Managing a variety of leases on Public Lands including residential camp lots, sporting camps; telecommunications, utility rights-of-way, and agricultural uses.
- Monitoring and enforcement of conservation easements held by the Bureau.
- Planning for the acquisition of new public lands and conservation easements, including managing the Maine Forest Legacy Program which works with willing landowners to support sustainable working forests through federally supported conservation easements.
- Special projects such as the State Comprehensive Outdoor Recreation Plan developed as part of the Federal Land and Water Conservation Program; and working with the Bureau of Tourism and other agencies and partners on initiatives to develop public-private recreation opportunities supporting nature-based tourism.
Policy and Program Planning Documents
- 2012 Annual Report for the Public Reserved, Non-Reserved, and submerged Lands - PDF (709KB)
- 2011 Annual Report for the Public Reserved, Non-Reserved, and Submerged Lands - PDF (538KB)
- 2010 Annual Report for Public Reserved, Non-Reserved, and Submerged Lands - PDF (732KB)
- 2009 Annual Report for Public Reserved, Non-Reserved, and Submerged Lands - PDF (430KB)
- 2008 Annual Report - PDF (462KB)
- 2007 Annual Report - PDF (531KB)
- Final Report of the Governors Task Force Regarding the Management of Public Lands and Publicly-Held Easements -January 2008 - MS Word Doc (104KB)
- 2008 Proposed Submerged Lands Rent Schedule Report - PDF (389KB)
- 2008 Proposed Submerged Lands Rent Addendum - PDF (42KB)
Research and Data
Please contact the Bureau of Parks and Lands main office at 287-3821 for additional information about:
- Real Property Management Services
- Natural Resource Education & Interpretation