Hunting & Bear Baiting
Maine Public Lands offer the opportunity to hunt in the backcountry.
- Use our Park Search Feature and select the hunting icon under “Search by Activities” to find the allowable hunting locations on Maine State Parks and Public Lands.
- For season information Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife site
- Harvest data for bear, deer, moose and turkey.
- The Maine Office of Tourism provides information about sporting camps and guide services.
Bear hunting information is available from the Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife including:
- Licenses and Permits
- Laws and Rules
- Season for Hunting and Trapping
Bear Baiting is allowed on Maine Public Land with a permit from the Bureau of Parks and Lands.
- Permit fees:
- Commercial Site = $65.
- Personal Site = $30.
- Applications for permits are accepted between June 1st and 30th each year. Renewal applications are due by May 31st. Permits will be issued by August 1.
- Permit Applicant must provide:
- Current valid hunting license
- Name of associated guide, sporting camp, or other hunting related business.
- Commercial sites must provide proof of liability insurance.
- For additional information about requirements, locations, and an application, contact the:
Bureau of Parks and Lands
22 State House Station
Augusta, Maine 04333-0022
(207) 287- 3821