Hunting & Bear Baiting
Maine Public Lands offer the opportunity to hunt in the backcountry.
- Use our Park Search Feature and select the hunting icon under “Search by Activities” to find the allowable hunting locations on Maine State Parks and Public Lands.
- For season information Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife site
- Harvest data for bear, deer, moose and turkey.
- The Maine Office of Tourism provides information about sporting camps and guide services.
Bear Hunting information is available from the Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife including:
- Licenses and Permits
- Laws and Rules
- Season for Hunting and Trapping
Bear Baiting is allowed on Maine Public Lands with a permit from the Bureau of Parks and Lands.
- Lands Regions Map (PDF 431KB)
- Rules for bear baiting on Public Lands (PDF 12KB)
- Bear bait sites are assigned, permitted and renewable in 3-year cycles; 2016 began the first of a new 3-year cycle.
- Forfeited renewals and revoked sites will be reassigned for the 2017 and 2018 seasons.
2017 Bear Bait Sites Applications
- There are no available bear bait sites in the Eastern or Northern Regions.
- Western Region Site Maps (PDF 719KB)
- To be considered for the very limited number of available sites in the Western region, complete the application (PDF 71KB) and return it to Carla York.
- Notifications of awarded sites will be made as soon as possible after the 4th of July holiday.
For more information, please contact your regional office:
Eastern Region Public Lands
106 Hogan Road, Suite 5
Bangor, ME 04401
Phone: (207) 941-4412
Fax: (207) 941-4416
Western Region Public Lands
PO Box 327
129 Main Street
Farmington, ME 04938
Phone: (207) 778-8231
Fax: (207) 778-5932
Northern Region Public Lands
45 Radar Rd.
Ashland, ME 04732
Phone: (207) 435-7963 ext. 210
Fax: (207) 435-7184