Forest Legacy Committee
- In 1994
- At the culmination of the work of the congressionally mandated Northern Forest Lands Council. The Council identified over thirty-five actions to reinforce the Northern Forest regions traditional patterns of land ownership and use, the first of which was to ensure the consistent and adequate funding by Congress of the Forest Legacy Program. This recommendation came at a time when both public and private efforts were growing to protect forest land in Maine from conversion to non-forest uses.
- To focus on acquiring conservation easements or fee interest in lands in order to protect the traditional uses and public values of Maines forests.
- Advise the Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry, Bureau of Parks and Lands on program policy.
- Recommend projects to be presented to Congress for funding through the national Forest Legacy Program.
Maine Forest Legacy Program Guiding Documents
To read the PDF files, you will need a copy of the free Adobe Reader software.
- Forest Legacy Committee Members (PDF 22KB)
- FY 2014 National Scoring Guidance (PDF 33KB)
- The Modified Assessment of Need (MS Word Doc 4.5MB)
- Recent Funding Table by Fiscal Year for Maine Forest Legacy Projects - (MS Word Docx 31KB)
- Project Status Map (MS Word Docx 856KB)
Current Proposed Projects
Advisory Committee Meetings
No upcoming meetings are sheduled at this time.
|Date and Time||Headline||Location||Additional Information|
May 21, 2014; 9:00 AM – 12:00 AM; Harlow Building, 1st Floor Conference Room, 18 Elkins Lane, Augusta
Meeting Minutes PDF 26KB)
September 11, 2014; 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM; Harlow Building, 1st Floor Conference Room, 18 Elkins Lane, Augusta
Meeting Minutes (PDF 14KB)
For more information, please contact:
Chief of Planning
Bureau of Parks and Lands
22 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0022
For more information visit the USFS Northeastern Area Forest Legacy program