USDOT numbers are issued by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and can be obtained online at https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration/do-i-need-usdot-number
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration:
To E-mail FMCSA a question: https://ask.fmcsa.dot.gov/app/ask/
The requirement to obtain a USDOT number is governed, and administered by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, (FMCSA) and adopted by the State of Maine. All motor carriers operating commercial motor vehicles in commerce must, unless exempted, obtain a U. S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) number. Maine has exempted some intrastate companies from the requirement of obtaining a USDOT Number and is specified in 29-A M.R.S.A. 556, see below.
For purposes of the USDOT number requirement, a commercial motor vehicle is any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in interstate or intrastate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle;
- Has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight (GVW) or gross combination weight, of 10,001 pounds (4,536 kg) or more, whichever is greater; or
- Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or
- Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or
- Is used in transporting material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and transported in a quantity requiring placarding under regulations prescribed by the Secretary.
NOTE: Effective July 19, 2015 Motor Carriers operating totally in INTRASTATE COMMERCE (within the state), with vehicles having a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or gross combination weight rating, 10,000 pounds to 26,000 pounds, and that neither meet the definition of a "bus" nor transport hazardous materials are not required to obtain a USDOT number. Vehicles having a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or gross combination weight rating in excess of 26,000 pounds, even in intrastate commerce, must obtain and display a USDOT number from the FMCSA. This exemption is covered under Maine's Chapter 4 Rule Adoption. Questions regarding this exemption should be directed to the Maine State Police Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Unit at: (207) 624-8939.
Effective September 1, 2012, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) eliminated the Vehicle Registrant Only company operation type. This operation type was used to designate a person or company as a non-motor carrier not authorized to operate in interstate commerce unless leased on to a motor carrier. Effective June 6, 2012, the State of Maine no longer requires a USDOT number for commercial motor vehicle registrants who are not motor carriers. Commercial motor vehicle registrants meeting either of the following two conditions are no longer required to provide a USDOT number at the time of registration:
- The registrant is an owner-operator never operating commercial motor vehicles under its own USDOT number or operating authority; or
- The registrant owns and registers commercial motor vehicles for the sole purpose of renting or leasing those vehicles to motor carriers who will operate the commercial motor vehicles to transport goods.
All IRP registrants will still be required to provide USDOT numbers for all motor carriers responsible for the safety of their fleet vehicles.
Interstate and intrastate motor carriers are subject to the marking requirements under 49 C.F.R. 390.21. The USDOT number must be displayed on both sides of the commercial motor vehicle prior to beginning operation.
- Effective 12/12/2015 all NEW motor carriers required to obtain a USDOT number MUST use the FMCSA online registration process. The Bureau of Motor Vehicles, Motor Carrier Services is no longer able to assist motor carriers with this function.
- Effective 9/30/2016 ALL motor carriers will be required to use the FMCSA online process to update their USDOT information. The Bureau of Motor Vehicles, Motor Carrier Services will no longer be able to assist motor carriers with this function.
The Maine State Police has adopted the federal requirements regarding obtaining and display of USDOT numbers on intrastate vehicles. Questions should be directed to the Maine State Police, Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Unit at (207) 624-8939.