Non-Regulated Entity Contact Information

Financial institutions operating in the State of Maine may not be regulated by the Maine Bureau of Financial Institutions. Details of other supervisory regulators are as follows:

Regulatory Agencies

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau

Congress established the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) to protect consumers by carrying out Federal consumer financial laws. Complaints involving credit cards should be reported to CFPB.

CFPB Complaints

Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC)

Some Credit Card Specialty Banks are regulated by The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC). Inquiries and complaints concerning these institutions should be directed to Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC).

Customer Assistance Form

Federal Reserve Bank

The Federal Reserve is the nation’s central bank. It is responsible for enforcing many of the federal laws that protect consumers in their dealing with banks. To file a complaint with the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve (Federal Reserve), write, call or contact the agency online:

Federal Reserve Complaints

Federal Trade Commission

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) investigates consumer protection and consumer fraud matters such as debt collection, credit reports, lending, telemarketing, credit repair services and much more. While the FTC does not resolve individual consumer problems, your complaint helps investigate fraud, and can lead to law enforcement action. To file a complaint with the FTC Office of Consumer Protection, write, call or contact the agency online:

FTC Consumer Complaint Form
For more information on Fraud check our Consumer Library.

Maine Bureau of Consumer Credit Protection

The Maine Bureau of Consumer Credit Protection offers a consumer inquiry/mediation service for consumers involved in nonbank credit transactions. In addition to licensing mortgage companies, personal lenders and collection agencies, the Office of Consumer Credit Regulation registers credit services organizations (loan brokers) and examines most nonbank creditors doing business with consumers in Maine. Regulated entities include: retailer creditors, auto dealers, debt collectors, and credit bureaus. For more information, write or call:

Consumer Information / Complaint Form

Maine Bureau of Insurance

The Maine Bureau of Insurance regulates insurance activities in Maine. It examines and licenses insurance companies and agents.

Insurance Complaint Form

Maine Office of Securities

The Maine Office of Securities regulates the sale and offering of securities in the State of Maine. In addition to licensing securities brokerage firms and salespeople, this agency investigates alleged securities law violations. If you have a question or a complaint involving stocks, bonds, mutual funds, commodities futures, or the actions of a securities firm or salesperson, please contact this agency at:

Securities Complaint Form

National Credit Union Administration (NCUA)

Federally-regulated credit unions are similarly identified by the word "federal" in their name. Inquiries and complaints concerning federal credit unions should be directed to the appropriate regional office. Maine is in Region 1 of National Credit Union Administration (NCUA).

Consumer Complaints

Office of the Comptroller of Currency (OCC)

Some institutions are regulated by federal government agencies. For example, banks having the word "National and/or using the title "N.A." (National Association) in their title, are organized under and subject to federal law. Savings banks and savings and loan associations having the word "Federal" in their name or which uses the initials FSB (federal savings bank), FSA (federal savings association), FA (federal association) or FSLA (federal savings and loan association) are also regulated by the OCC. Requests for information or complaints concerning these federally chartered banks should be directed to Office of the Comptroller of Currency (OCC).

OCC Complaints