Plourde, Lynn (1955 - )
Genre: Children's Literature, Non-Fiction - Scholarly
Plourde, a native of Dexter and now a Winthrop resident, has always lived in Maine. She earned a B.A. and M.A. from the University of Maine. A school speech therapist for twenty years, her first publishing efforts included educational texts and a series of program and activity books written for the classroom teacher.
Plourde has said that she was first aware of picture books when she became the stepmother of three-year-old and four-year-old boys. Thoroughly taken with the joys of good picture books, she began writing her own stories. She persevered through thirteen years of rejection slips before her first picture book, Pigs in the Mud in the Middle of the Rud (1997), was accepted and published.
Plourde, one of the Maine Arts Commission's visiting artists, has received enthusiastic responses to her program presented in Maine schools and libraries.
Maine writer Jack Barnes included Plourde's books in his 1998 annual review of the best in that year's Maine children's books. The positive response to her books, however, extends far beyond the state of Maine. Pigs in the Mud in the Middle of the Rud is found on a number of national and regional Best Books lists such as the Chicago Public Library's "1997 Best of the Best;" and a Garrison, New York school/library bibliography. Wild Child was a 1999 American Booksellers Association's "Children's Pick of the List."
In addition to writing picture books, Plourde, with her husband, Paul Knowles, wrote A Celebration of Maine's Children's Books (1998). It focuses on what they consider the best 185 Maine children's books in print and contains plot summaries, biographical information, and learning activities for each title.
- Winter Waits (2000)
- Snow Day (2001)
- Spring's Sprung (2002)
- School Picture Day (2002)
- Grandpappy Snippy Snappies (2002)
- Summer's Vacation (2003)
- Teacher Appreciation Day (2003)
- Thank You, Grandpa (2003)
- The First Feud: Between the Mountain and the Sea (2003)
- Mother, May I? (2004)
- Pajama Day (2005)
- Dad, Aren't You Glad? (2005)
- Book Fair Day (2006)
- Dino Pets (2007)
- A Mountain of Mittens (2007)
- At One - In a Place Called Maine (2007)
- Margaret Chase Smith: A Woman for President (2008)
- Science Fair Day (2008)
- The Dump Man's Treasures (2008)
- Field Trip Day (2009)
- Dino Pets Got to School (2011)
- Lost Trail: Nine Days Alone in the Wilderness with Donn Fendler (2011)
- Only Cows Allowed! (2011)
- You're Wearing That to School?! (2013)
- Merry Moosey Christmas (2014)
- Bella's Fall Coat (2016)
- Maxi's Secrets (Or What You Can Learn from a Dog) (2016)
- Baby Bear's Not Hibernating (2017)
- I Could Give You Christmas (2019)
- The Boy Whose Face Froze Like That (2020)
- Happy Birthday Maine! (2020)