Since 2008, the Maine State Board of Education has had two nonvoting student members who join the Board as high school juniors and serve for two years. Students are appointed by the Governor, confirmed by the Maine Senate, and, except for voting, have full privileges and responsibilities of Board membership.
At all times, the State Board has one high school junior and one senior as members. One student comes from Maine's First Congressional District; the other attends school in the Second Congressional District.
Becoming a Student Member
Each year, the Maine State Board of Education accepts applications from current high school sophomores in one of Maine's two Congressional districts who are interested in filling the student seat that will be vacated at the end of the school year.
In 2023, the State Board will accept applications from sophomores who attend public school in Maine's First Congressional District. Applicants must be in good academic standing and willing to serve for two years. Application materials will be made available on this page.
The Maine State Board of Education is extending the time to March 10, 2023 for First Congressional District high school sophomores may apply to be considered for student membership on the Board. The State Board of Education is a body that is actively involved in a leadership role in numerous aspects of education in the state of Maine and looks forward to working with the students who become a part of this very meaningful panel.
- Student Member Job Responsibilities
- Background of Student Membership on the State Board
- Application Letter
- Parental Support Statement
- School Support Agreement
Student Members, 2008-Present
- Phat Thai, Deering High School, Portland: 2023 - 2025
- Ryan Hafener, Hampden Academy: 2022 - 2024
- Joshua Leinwand, Yarmouth High School: 2021 - 2023
- Greyson Orne, Maine School of Science and Mathematics, Limestone: 2020 - 2022
- Casey Maddock, Scarborough High School: 2019 - 2021
- Jaylee Rice, Nokomis Regional High School, Newport: 2018 - 2020
- Liberty Ladd, Falmouth High School: 2017 - 2019
- Elise McKendry, Forest Hills Consolidated School, Jackman: 2016 - 2018
- Noa Ann Sreden, Morse High School, Bath: 2015 - 2017
- Gwendolyn Viles, Nokomis Regional High School, Newport: 2014 - 2016
- Alyssa Wardwell, Massabesic High School, Waterboro: 2013 - 2015
- Kristin Bishop, Madison Area Memorial High School: 2012-2014
- Chelsey Whynot, Cape Elizabeth High School: 2011-2013
- Angela Bechard, Monmouth Academy: 2010-2012
- Andrea Levinsky, Deering High School, Portland: 2009-2011
- Honor Wilkinson, Calais High School: 2008-2010
- Justin Chenette, Thornton Academy, Saco: 2008-2009