About the Subsurface Wastewater Unit
Division of Environmental and Community Health
Drinking Water Program
Subsurface Wastewater Unit
286 Water Street, Augusta, ME 04333
Phone: (207) 287-2070 Fax: (207) 287-4172
It is the Subsurface Wastewater Team’s responsibility to:
- Promulgate and administer the Subsurface Waste Water Disposal Rules (CMR 241), Rules for Appointment and Administration of Local Plumbing Inspectors (CMR 240), and Rules for Site Evaluators of Subsurface Wastewater Disposal Systems (CMR 245).
- Maintain copies of all plumbing and subsurface waste water permits issued statewide.
- Approximately 40,000 plumbing permits are processed annually, which generate approximately $275,000.00 in dedicated revenue.
- The Program processes approximately 10,000 subsurface waste water permits annually.
- License site evaluators for subsurface waste water disposal systems pursuant to CMR 245.
- Provide reviews of engineering plans for compliance with or variance from departmental rules in support of the Division's various program areas.
- Provide interagency reviews and make recommendations for Maine Department of Environmental Protection, Maine Land Use Regulation Commission, Maine Department of Education, and Bureau of Public Improvements, among others.
- Conduct site inspections to assist site evaluators, local officials, and property owners.
- Administer a voluntary subsurface waste water disposal system installers certification program, in association with the Maine Department of Environmental Protection.
- Review and approve mausoleums, crypts, crematoria, and cemeteries.
David Braley, Certified Geologist (207) 441-5324
The Team Leader of the Subsurface Wastewater Team is responsible for overseeing the day to day operation of the Team.
Brent Lawson, State Plumbing Inspector (207) 592-7376
The position inspects new and existing onsite sewage disposal system installations and the work and practices of onsite sewage disposal system installers, municipal officers, and Local Plumbing Inspectors. Responsibilities include performing technical inspections, investigations of installations of onsite sewage disposal systems for compliance with Maine State Plumbing Code, Subsurface Wastewater Disposal Rules and related enforcement duties, assisting and supporting Local Plumbing Inspectors and Code Enforcement Officers, and investigations of complaints regarding Local Plumbing Inspectors’ performance.
Vacant, State Site Evaluator, (207) 592-2084
The position duties include providing onsite assistance to Site Evaluators, Local Plumbing Inspectors, and the general public in interpreting site and soil conditions, and investigating malfunctions of onsite sewage disposal systems; investigating complaints against Site Evaluators; and administering the Site Evaluator program. Administration of the Site Evaluator program in turn includes administering both the written and field examination for prospective Site Evaluators; and providing technical and regulatory assistance to Site Evaluators. The position also provides guidance and interpretation of the Maine State Plumbing Code, Subsurface Wastewater Disposal Rules to other State agencies. The position reviews applications for onsite sewage disposal systems when time and other obligations permit.
- Site Map
- Current Rules
- Historic Rules
- Site Evaluator Licensing
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Funding for Septic Systems
- Ten Tips for Systems
- Cemeteries and Crematoria