Behavioral Health

The Behavioral Health Program is a regulatory program that consists of Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder programs, and Employee Assistance Program certifications. The Mental Health program is authorized by 34-B MRS Chapter 3, §3601 and §3603. The Substance Use Disorder program is authorized by 5 MRS §20005(6) and §20024, 22 MRS §42(1) and §8002, and 22-A MRS §205(2). Employee Assistance Program certification is authorized by 26 MRS §683.

How to Apply

To apply to have an agency licensed or renewed, or a company to be EAP certified, complete the appropriate application and submit with the required documentation and fees as detailed in the application form. These application forms are "fillable." Please save the form to your computer and complete it by typing the required information into the fields provided. You can then print your completed form, sign, and submit via mail.

Guidance on developing this annual report can be found here:  EAP Annual Report Guideline (PDF).

Mental Health Agencies

A Mental Health agency is a person, firm, association or corporation providing mental health services to clients in Maine. Mental health services include, but are not limited to:

  • Outpatient Services
  • Community Support Services
  • Residential Services
  • Crisis Services

Mental Health Agency Rules (Word)

Mental Health agencies must comply with the Rights of Recipients of Mental Health Services for Adults & Children.

Substance Use Disorder Agencies

A Substance Use Disorder Agency is an incorporated firm, partnership, association, or organization that provides at least one substance abuse treatment service. Substance use disorder services include, but are not limited to:

  • Outpatient Services
  • Intensive Outpatient Services
  • Detoxification Services
  • Residential Services
  • Opioid Treatment Programs

Substance Use Disorder Agency Rules (Word)

Employee Assistance Programs

An Employee Assistance Program is a certification for employers with established substance use disorder testing programs that employ more than 20 people full-time. Employee Assistance Program Rules (Word)

Water Testing Requirements Due with Applications 

All facilities or agencies  / locations or sites with private wells are required to complete the Basic Safety Test (TSA) of their well water prior to filing an initial or renewal application. A copy of the test results should be submitted to DLC with their applications.

Water test kits can be ordered from the Health and Environmental Testing Laboratory at the following web site:


Agencies can apply for a waiver of specific regulations that are not mandated by state or federal law, and do not violate resident rights by submitting a waiver request application  (Fillable PDF).