Ask the Expert

On this page:

For help with general questions or problems with this website:





Home, Yard, and Garden Pests

Home and Garden Insect Pests Charlie Armstrong UMCE 207-581-2967
Plant Diseases Alicyn Smart UMCE 207-581-3883
Forest and Shade Tree Insects Colleen Teerling DACF 207-287-2431
  Allison Kanoti DACF 207-827-1813
Forest & Shade Tree Diseases Aaron Bergdahl DACF 207-287-2431
Fruit Tree Pests Glen Koehler UMCE 207-581-3882
  Renae Moran UMCE 207-933-2100
Ornamental Plant Pests Ann Gibbs DACF 207-287-3891
  Sarah Scally DACF 207-287-8663
  Carole Neil DACF 207-287-7612
Vegetable Pests Mark Hutton UMCE 207-933-2100
  David Handley UMCE 207-933-2100
  Hillary Peterson DACF 207- 215-4793
Small Fruit (strawberries, raspberries, highbush blueberry) David Handley UMCE 207-933-2100
Lawn Pests Gary Fish DACF 207-287-7545
Lawn and Garden Weeds Matthew Wallhead UMCE 207-581-2949

Human Health Pests

Mosquitoes & Ticks Hillary Peterson DACF 207- 215-4793
  Chuck Lubelczyk MMC 207-662-7142
Bed Bugs Hillary Peterson DACF 207- 215-4793
Browntail moth   MFS Dial 211 (or 207-874-2211)
Bees, Wasps & Hornets Jenn Lund DACF 207-287-7562

Integrated Pest Management

  Kerry Bernard UMCE 207-581-3884
  Jim Dill UMCE 207-581-3879
  Hillary Peterson DACF 207- 215-4793

Invasive Pests

Insects Karen Coluzzi DACF 207-287-7551
Fish Species Joe Overlock MDIFW 207-287-5022
Aquatic Plants John McPhedran MDEP 207-215-9863
Terrestrial Plants Gary Fish DACF 207-287-7545
Pest Quarantine Regulations Gary Fish DACF 207-848-7545
  Ann Gibbs DACF 207-287-3891

Organic Pest Management

  Caleb Goossen MOFGA 603-269-6201

Pesticide Questions

Pesticide Poisoning For Emergency, call 911 first.
  Northern New England Poison Control Center 800-222-1222
  For Hearing impaired: TTY/TTD 877-299-4447
Pesticide Use Complaint Raymond Connors DACF 207-287-2731
Pesticide Toxicity Pam Bryer DACF 207-287-2731
Any Pesticide Question National Pesticide Information Center   800-585-7378

Poisonous Plants

Identification Matt Wallhead UMCE 207-581-2949
Plant Poisoning For Emergency, call 911 first.
  Northern New England Poison Control Center 800-222-1222
  For Hearing impaired: TTY/TTD 877-299-4447

Vertebrate and Wildlife Pests

Contact your municipal animal control officer by calling the town office or the non-emergency number for your local police.
Wildlife Services   USDA 207-629-5181


For homeowner questions and problems with raccoons, deer, birds, coyotes, bears, bats, fox, or moose (especially when a game species is involved), call the nearest Maine Department of Inland Fisheries regional headquarters and ask to speak to a wildlife biologist or game warden. Each regional headquarters also has a list of wildlife rehabilitators for injured birds and small mammals.
Region A: Gray 657-2345 (Southern Maine south of the Androscoggin River )
Region B: Sidney 547-5300 (North of the Androscoggin River and Augusta area)
Region C: Jonesboro 941-4440 (Bangor and Downeast)
Region D: Strong 778-3324    
Region E: Greenville 695-3756    
Region F: Enfield 732-4132    
Region G: Ashland 435-3231    
DACF = Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry
MFS = Maine Forest Service
MDEP = Maine Department of Environmental Protection
MCDC = Maine Center for Disease Control
MDIFW = Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife
MMC = Maine Medical Center
MNAP = Maine Natural Areas Program
MOFGA = Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association
USDA = US Department of Agriculture
UMCE = University of Maine Cooperative Extension