Review of Ground-Water Withdrawal Regulations
Final Report - January 10, 2007
During the 1st session of the 122nd Maine Legislature (2005) the Governor proposed and the Legislature passed a law (Public Law 2005 c. 452) to clarify and enhance the state's role with regard to large-scale ground-water withdrawal. A key provision of this law is the requirement to comprehensively review ground-water regulations with the objectives to:
- Review provisions in state law that trigger regulation of proposed ground-water withdrawals;
- Review pertinent scientific information to assess the efficacy of existing state law for ensuring that withdrawal of ground water does not have an undue adverse effect on waters of the State;
- Develop assessment criteria that should influence whether and how the State regulates or otherwise manages withdrawal of ground water;
- Propose any changes to state law; and
- Assess the cost to state agencies and the regulated community of compliance with proposed changes.
Participants in this yearlong process included legislative committee members, state agency staff, a private well owner, and representatives with expertise in water law, public water supply, agricultural water use and bottled water, and conservation interests.
Report of the Land & Water Resources Council to the Natural Resources Committee of the 123rd Maine Legislature, 1st Regular Session Pursuant to P.L. 2005, Chapter 452; Review and Recommendations Regarding Ground Water Regulations
Chapter 587 A-C Summary, prepared for Ground Water Workgroup Meeting March 10, 2006, by David Courtemanch, Maine DEP.
Report to the Joint Standing Committee on Natural Resources: Development of Consistent Hydrogeological Review Procedures - by Robert G. Marvinney, January 10, 2006.
Memorandum to the Joint Standing Committee on Natural Resources on ground water ownership (rtf format) - by Dennis J. Harnish, April 15, 2005.
Water Use Policy Background - Previous State Efforts in Water Use Policy, compiled by Robert G. Marvinney, September 2004.
July 14, 2006
June 16, 2006
April 14, 2006
March 10, 2006
February 10, 2006
January 13, 2006
- Bottled water, bulk water, and spring water (PDF 0.5MB) - by Andy Tolman, Maine Drinking Water Program
- Review of groundwater withdrawal permits by the Land Use Regulation Commission, (PDF 1.0MB) - by Marcia Spencer-Famous, Maine Land Use Regulation Commission
- Programs regulating impacts of ground water extraction (PDF 0.1MB) - by John Hopeck, Maine Department of Environmental Protection
- Regulating ground water - a town level approach (PDF 1.0MB) - by Gene Bergoffen, Fryeburg, Maine
December 13, 2005
- Presentations represent meeting record
- Overview of Maine's ground water resources (PDF 1.6MB) - by Robert Marvinney, Maine Geological Survey
- Maine's ground water monitoring network, recharge, and some comparisons with other regions (PDF 8.5MB) - by Martha Nielsen, U.S. Geological Survey
- Ground water - surface water interactions and public water supplies: two case studies (PDF 1.0MB) - by Keith Taylor, St. Germain & Associates, Inc.
- Sustainability of Ground Water Resources: Basic Principles and Modeling (PDF 6MB) - By Peter Garrett, Emery & Garrett Groundwater, Inc.
- Resource characterization methods (PDF 9.0MB) - by Brad Caswell, Consultant
DEP web pages on statutes, rules, permits:
Drinking Water Program:
- Water for human consumption statutes (22 MRSA Chapter 601)
- Bottled water, bulk water rules and documents
- Bulk water statutes (22 MRSA Section 2660)
- Rules relating to drinking water
Last updated on January 26, 2015