Northeastern Maine Library District Council Bylaws
ARTICLE I: NAME
The name of this organization shall be the Northeastern Maine Library District Council.
ARTICE II: PURPOSE
The purpose of the District Council shall be to:
- Serve as the communications forum and policy-making body of the District, which purpose shall in no way diminish the power of local library boards.
- Develop, implement, and review a comprehensive District plan.
- Encourage cooperative activity among all types of libraries through an ongoing program of services.
- Advise on the service performance of the Area Resource and Reference Center and the District Consultant.
- To provide representation to the District Liaison Committee.
ARTICLE III: MEMBERSHIP
Section 1. Library membership is free and open to any public, school, academic or special library in the Northeastern Maine Library District (Aroostook, Hancock, Knox, Penobscot, Piscataquis, Waldo, and Washington Counties) which meet the following qualifications:
- be a part of an organization or institution that has a legal basis for operation and provides informational resources;
- have a written mission statement and service objectives;
- have an established funding base;
- be authorized to participate by its appropriate administrative authority;
- have established and posted hours of service;
- have a fixed location;
- have a designated staff person or volunteer with library services training and who is responsible for the library;
- have an organized collection of information and material accessible for use by its designated clientele and/or the public;
- agree to the terms and conditions of the Maine Regional Library System membership agreement as established by the Maine Library Commission.
Section 2. Each library shall be entitled to one voting representative to the Council. The library director or his/her designee shall be the voting representative. In case of a vacancy in the director's position, the library's governing authority shall appoint a temporary representative. Any voting representative may be elected to the Executive Board.
Section 3. The term of membership and method of renewal shall be within the standards set by the Maine Library Commission.
Section 4. The District Consultant shall keep the records of the membership and make such information available.
ARTICLE IV: OFFICERS
Section 1. The officers of the Executive Board, as stated in the Northeastern Maine Library District Executive Board Bylaws, shall serve as the officers of the District Council.
ARTICLE V: MEETINGS
Section 1. Meetings of the District Council shall occur as prescribed by state law. Additional meetings may be called by the Chairman or by representatives of ten per cent of the member institutions.
Section 2. If an authorized representative cannot attend a meeting, that representative may select a qualified substitute to vote his/her proxy.
Section 3. Meetings shall be conducted in accordance with the current edition of Roberts Rules of Order Newly Revised.
ARTICLE VI: AMENDMENTS
Amendments to these bylaws may be presented at any regularly advertised District Council meeting. Notice shall be published electronically at least thirty days prior to such meeting. Seventy-five percent of the voting members present at that meeting must approve amendments to the Bylaws.
Adopted May 11, 2011