Northern Aroostook Region - Management Plan
The Northern Aroostook Region Management Plan was adopted in June, 2007. The plan guides management activities of the Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry (DACF), Bureau of Parks and Lands on public lands at Deboullie, Eagle Lake, Salmon Brook Lake Bog, as well as smaller public lots in Caswell, Cyr Plantation, Hamlin, New Canada, New Sweden, St. John Plantation, Westmanland, Winterville Plantation, and common undivided interest in T16 R9. The links below are for downloading the management plan and related documents.
To read these files, you will need a copy of the free Adobe Reader software.
Plan Update and Review
The Bureau has begun the second Five-Year Review of the 2007 Northern Aroostook Region Management Plan covering the period from 2013 through 2017.The Integrated Resource Policy (IRP) requires that the Bureau, at five year intervals, report to the Advisory Committee on accomplishments and changing conditions that may warrant amendments to the plan.
The Five-Year Review is prepared in a table format. It is linked as a PDF below under Management Plan Review Documents. It:
- Lists plan recommendations (left column), and
- Actions taken (right column) to implement each recommendation, and
- Identifies from the Bureau's perspective any new issues or circumstances that were not addressed in the plan that may warrant Committee discussion or action (at end of table).
The Five-Year Review table was sent to Advisory Committee members on March 15, 2018.
As described below the review table, and on page two of the memo to the Advisory Committee (also linked to below) , the Bureau has identified two new issues that may require amendments to the plan, related to development of camper trailer sites at Deboullie and a drive-to campsite at Eagle Lake. The Bureau proposes to develop these campsites in response to requests from the public. Following Committee input on these issues, a decision will be made to:
- Take no action,
- Formally amend the plan, OR
- Take action without amending the plan.
The Bureau has developed draft Plan amendments that would allow the campsite proposals to be implemented at Deboullie and Eagle Lake, with certain conditions and requirements. Advisory Committee comments on the proposals and Bureau Responses, as well as the draft Plan amendments, are also linked below under Management Plan Review Documents.
As noted below, the Bureau will hold a public meeting to gather input on the proposed amendments. Comments will be accepted for two weeks following the public meeting.
A Final Report on the Five-Year Review, the Bureau’s responses to any public comments, and the Final Plan amendments will be sent to the Advisory Committee after their adoption by the DACF Commissioner, anticipated for early summer of 2018.
|Date and Time||Headline||Location||Additional Information|
- Five-Year Review Memo to the Advisory Committee (PDF 259KB)
- Five-Year Review Table 2017 (PDF 301KB)
- Advisory Committee Comments and BPL Responses (PDF 184KB)
- Draft Plan Amendments (PDF 111KB)
Management Plan Documents
- Northern Aroostook Management Plan 2007 (PDF 1.32MB)
- Appendices and Allocation Maps (PDF 1.69MB)
- Adoption Citation (PDF 973KB)
- Compartments map (JPG 669KB)
For more information:
Maine Bureau of Parks and Lands
22 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333