Resource Guide Appendix: LEGAL INFORMATION

Last Updated; January 1, 2017

Maine Legal Information:

Deaf/Hard-of-Hearing Tenants Smoke Detectors Law

American Sign Language-World Language-Secondary Schools Law

National Association of the Deaf

Maine Sign Language Interpreter Licensure: Individuals who are compensated for providing interpreting services for deaf and hard-of-hearing people must be licensed with the Maine Department of Professional and Financial Regulation, Office of Professional and Occupational Regulation (OPOR). OPOR maintains a web page that explains the different types of interpreter licenses and identifies the requirements and procedures for obtaining a license, as well as links to the Maine laws and rules that govern interpreter licensure.

Website: Maine Sign Language Interpreter Licensure

Legal Information
How to Hire Interpreters
MaineCare Interpreting Guide