Client Assistance Program
The Client Assistance Program (CAP) is a federally funded program that provides information, assistance and advocacy to people with disabilities who are applying for or receiving services under the Rehabilitation Act. Programs under this Act include Vocational Rehabilitation, Independent Living Services and Projects with Industry. In Maine, the CAP is administered by Disability Rights of Maine. There are no fees for CAP services.
HOW CAN THE CLIENT ASSISTANCE PROGRAM HELP?
The CAP can help by providing you with information on the services available, time frames for services and by explaining what the federal regulations and state rules say. When there are disagreements, CAP can get directly involved. CAP is required to resolve disagreements using informal methods, to the maximum extent possible, before resorting to administrative or legal remedies.
Examples of CAP activities include:
- Providing information and support that assists you in advocating for yourself;
- Providing information and referral to other programs and resources;
- Reviewing case records and talking with counselors, supervisors, community rehabilitation providers and others involved in your case;
- Helping to develop strategies to resolve disagreements through negotiation, etc.;
- Representing you at Mediation or Fair Hearing; and,
- Providing information about Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
YOUR RIGHTS AS AN APPLICANT OR CLIENT
- To be treated with dignity and respect;
- To be provided understandable information about the services available from each program;
- To be involved in the selection of your vocational and/or independent living goal(s), services, providers, etc.;
- To be given services in a timely manner;
- To be informed of the Client Assistance Program’s services;
- To request a change of counselor; and,
- To exercise your right to question and/or appeal any adverse decision.
CONTACT THE CAP WHEN YOU NEED INFORMATION OR ASSISTANCE
Disability Rights of Maine
160 Capitol Street, Suite 4
Augusta, ME 04330
1 Mackworth Island, Bldg. C
Falmouth, ME 04105
If you wish to request assistance via our website, visit https://drme.org/online-intake-form