Unclaimed Property

My aunt found an old passbook. When she went to withdraw the money, the financial institution told her the balance had been turned over to the State because there had been no activity for 3 years or more. Is there any way she can get her money back?

When bank or credit union funds are not used for a period of time, they may be subject to an inactivity fee charged by the financial institution. If the account continues to be unclaimed, the funds are turned over to the State Treasurer. Any funds which have "escheated" to the State of Maine may be recovered by the owner by contacting the State Treasurer's Office at (207) 624-7470 or toll-free in Maine at 888-283-2808. To send e-mail or learn more about abandoned property, visit the State Treasurer's Unclaimed Property Division web site.