Skip Maine state header navigation

Agencies | Online Services | Help

Skip First Level Navigation | Skip All Navigation


If you have a dispute with your bank or credit union you should first attempt to resolve the issue directly with the institution. If the bank or credit union fails to resolve the problem, you may file a complaint with the Maine Bureau of Financial Institutions (also known as BFI). BFI will help you resolve your banking issue, but please note that BFI is not the primary regulator of all banks and credit unions doing business in Maine. BFI will answer questions about your complaint, but may need to direct you to another regulator.

To find out which regulator supervises your bank or credit union, please review this comprehensive list of institutions operating in Maine to identify their regulator. Information about the other regulators may be found here - contact information.

How to file a complaint with the Bureau of Financial Institutions

- E-mails should be sent to

Maine Bureau of Financial Institutions
Consumer Outreach Program
36 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0036
  • By Phone 800-965-5235 or (207) 624-8570
  • By Fax (207) 624-8590
  • Staff Directory
To file a complaint with the Bureau, please include the following information:
  • Your name and home address
  • Telephone numbers - home, work and cell if applicable
  • E-mail address (if filing electronically)
  • The financial institution, branch and employee name
  • Type of account involved - no account numbers please
  • Statement of your complaint including dates and amounts
  • How have you tried to resolve this complaint?
  • Is anyone else involved?
  • Have you consulted an attorney?
  • What do you want the financial institution to do?
Please do not include account numbers when filing electronically unless you use a secure email link.

Last Updated: July 26, 2021