Maine DOT’s free USGS topo map service is through MEGIS: http://www.maine.gov/mdot/mapviewer/
To start generating your USGS topo map, follow these steps:
- Click on "Imagery" at the top right.
- Click on the blue "Add" tab.
- Click on "Topos ".
- Find the layer "USGS Topos Current" and click on the “+” sign to select it.
- Scroll back to the top of the list and click “Done”.
- Then click "Hide Data" – this turns off all the other layers.
- Then go to the Search box in the upper left of your screen – type in the address (e.g. 55 Capitol Street, Augusta) or town.
To print, click on the "Share" tab. Then click "Export". Select "pdf" or "jpeg". (Note: Firefox will not generate a file-only a blue box appears. Use Internet Explorer or Chrome.)
You need to wait a minute for it to load. See the attached example. You can handwrite on the map where your project location is.
If you are having odd problems with the Map Viewer or want to get back to the original state, click on the blue "?" at the top right and select the "Reset Map" button.