Business Answers About Licensed Facilities


On this page:

Do I need a license to practice micropigmentation?

A Department of Health and Human Services license is required for the practice of micropigmentation. Microblading is also considered micropigmentation and requires a micropigmentation license to practice. However, a person enrolled in a program of training to become a micropigmentation practitioner may perform micropigmentation in the course of that training, but only under the direct supervision of a licensed micropigmentation practitioner. Please refer to section 8 of the micropigmentation rules for education and training requirements. The Department has reduced the educational and training hours from 200 hours to 100 hours for applicants that do not have a professional license in an associated field of practice, as stated in the micropigmentation rules. The Department will also allow training from an individual who has obtained Board-Certification with the AAM or Certified Permanent Cosmetic Professional with SPCP.

I provide microblading services.  Do I need a micropigmentation license?

Yes. The Department is providing a one-year conditional micropigmentation license for microbladers only for one year from the legislative effective date of October 19, 2021.  The final day for this one-year conditional license for microblading only is October 18, 2022.   After this date, microbladers will need to meet the facility and educational requirements for a full micropigmentation license.

How do I apply for a license to practice micropigmentation?

You may download an application or call the Health Inspection Program's main line at 207-287-5671 for a hard copy. The application requires you to provide information about the applicant’s name, home and mailing address, Evidence of completion of education or training under the direct supervision of a license micropigmentation practitioner, copy of a high school diploma or equivalent, copies of any licenses, registrations, diplomas or certificates issued to the applicant as a micropigmentation practitioner. Please refer also to section 8 of the micropigmentation rules for education and training requirements. You must provide a copy of a water test if you use a well as a water supply and Appendix C in the application for the Onsite Wastewater Disposal System if you are not on a public sewer.

Are there additional requirements to maintain licensure?

All applicants practicing in the State of Maine shall become Board Certified by the American Academy of Micropigmentation, within 2 years of obtaining their license to practice.

Are the micropigmentation rules applicable to hospitals, medical institutions and physicians?

The micropigmentation rules are not applicable to licensed medical hospitals, and similarly licensed medical institutions, physicians or persons operating under the control or supervision of a physician.

Top of Page

How soon can I open or how soon do I get my license after an application is submitted?

Once the district health inspector has given approval for you to operate your establishment, within 30 days of receipt of a complete application, if there are no outstanding issues, the Health Inspector will inform the Licensing Clerk to issue your license. This generally is within a week once the Health Inspector informs the Licensing Clerk.

How much does a license to practice micropigmentation cost?

Licenses are issued biennially. Please refer to the fee table located within the application.

Are licenses transferable?

No. Health Inspection Program licenses are not transferable.

What is the minimum age requirements to receive micropigmentation services?

The minimum age is 18. No micropigmentation shall be practiced on any person who is less than 18 years of age, as verified by a driver's license, liquor ID card, military ID card, or other adequate record.

How does micropigmentation differ from tattooing?

Micropigmentation machines are lightweight implantors that lack the power of conventional tattooing machines, and are designed primarily for facial cosmetic procedures. Micropigmentation does not include tattooing.

Can I transfer my out-of-state license to Maine?

The Department of Health and Human Services accepts reciprocity of out-of-state licenses. You must provide the Department with evidence of training documenting hours of written and practical instruction, equal to the training requirements of Maine practitioners as listed in Section 8 of the micropigmentation rules, and board certified by the American Academy of Micropigmentation, as proof of basic competence, within two years of obtaining a license to practice.

Top of Page

Who is my district health inspector?

You may call the Health Inspection Program main line at 207-287-5671 to find out who the inspector is for your town or on the website.

How do I request an inspection?

Once your application has been submitted, your district health inspector will be in contact with you to set up a pre-operational inspection.

If you need a routine inspection, you may contact the district health inspector directly.

How soon can I get an inspection?

This depends on the Health Inspectors schedule as inspections are prioritized. Once the Health Inspector has completed your inspection and given approval to operate, you may operate your establishment. You do not need to wait for the license as your inspection with the approval of the inspector is written on the report. You will generally receive your license within a week after approval. By statute the Health Inspection Program shall issue a license within 30 days of receipt of a complete application, if the establishment is found to comply with rules adopted by the Department.

Who do I speak with if I have technical questions about the requirements to practice micropigmentation?

Your district health inspector can assist you with these questions. You may call the Health Inspection Program main line at 207-287-5671 to find out who the inspector is for your town, or view a list on the website.

What other requirements should I be aware of?

Other regulations which may affect operation of a body piercing facility include, but are not limited to, Subsurface Wastewater Disposal Rules; the Drinking Water Rules; the Life Safety Code; and the Internal Plumbing Rules (PDF); and the  Fire Marshall's Office. You should also check with your local municipal officials to see if there are local zoning issues or permits that you must obtain before operating your establishment.

Where can I find the micropigmentation rules?

The Rules Relating to Micropigmentation Practionerscan be downloaded or we can mail you a hard copy. Download a copy of the Rules.

Top of Page