Welcome to the Maine Office of State Fire Marshal
The mission of the Office of State Fire Marshal is to prevent loss of life and property for those that live, work and visit in the State of Maine. Our goal is to protect against the devastation of fire, explosions and life safety hazards with integrity and fairness through fire prevention, public education, planning, research, investigation and enforcement of enacted laws and rules.
Call to provide tips or other information that will lead to the identification of persons responsible for arson.
News & Events
Applications & Permits
- Smoke Detector and CO Detector Requirements for Single-Family and Multi-Family Buildings, or Rentals-updated 6/15/18 (PDF, 210 KB)
- Smoke Alarm Safety Tips (PDF, 334 KB)
- Disposal of Fire and Smoke Detectors-this is a USFA document (PDF, 671 KB)
- Smoke Alarms for People Who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing (PDF, 817 KB)
- Carbon Monoxide Safety (PDF, 403 KB)
- Certification of Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Alarm for Real Estate Transfers (PDF, 49 KB) This document applies to single-family dwellings or a multi-apartment building.
- Dig Safe, in cooperation with companies who operate gas and hazardous liquid pipelines, would like to reach out to the New England Fire Marshals, Chiefs, and emergency first responders with important information about pipeline safety and the protocol for a gas release: PHMSA requirements 2018 (PDF, 213 KB) and PHMSA excavator enforcement rule information (PDF, 267 KB)
- Important: modification of plans review fees will take effect on January 1, 2018: plans review fee change (PDF, 94 KB)
- Sky lanterns are illegal in Maine: Fact Sheet (PDF, 51 KB)
- Process for the Safe Disposal of Marine Flares (PDF, 23 KB)
- Maine chimney sweeps (partial list) updated 5/07/19 (PDF, 49 KB)
- Visit the NASFM-Endorsed Crowd Manager Training
- Attended Self Service Gas Station Guide (PDF)
- Heating Safety
- 8 Helpful Fire Safety Tips for College Students (external link)
- The Center for Campus Fire Safety