Quality Assurance & Regulations
Guidance Documents Available
- Guidelines for Production and Sales of Food Items containing Cannibidiol (CBD) (PDF)
- Guidelines for Maine Cider Sales (PDF)
- Reusable Container Guidance for Retail (PDF)
Attention Growers: 2022 GAP Audits
Due to increased demand and staffing limitations, it is critical that growers requesting GAP audits contact the Presque Isle office at (207) 764-2100 as soon as possible to schedule your 2022 GAP audit in advance. Audits will be scheduled on a first come, first served basis. The more lead time you can provide, the better the service we can deliver.
On June 8, 2021, LD 630 “An Act To Prohibit Shelf-stable Products from Being Sold as Cider” was signed into law (P.L. 2021, c. 111) and became effective as of October 18, 2021. No person may sell, advertise, offer or expose for sale any product labeled as "cider" if that product does not require refrigeration from pressing through purchase or if it has been heat treated. This law applies to both interstate and intrastate processors of apple, pear, peach etc. products, including sparkling cider beverages, packaged in glass, metal, plastic and aseptic containers labeled as cider. The word “juice” or other like-product marketing terms may be substituted for “cider” on product labels that have been heat treated. "Hard Cider" means liquor produced by fermentation of the juice of apples or pears, including, but not limited to, flavored, sparkling or carbonated cider, that contains not less than 1/2 of 1% alcohol by volume, and "liquor" has the same meaning as in Title 28-A, section 2, subsection 16, and is exempted from P.L. 2021, c. 111.
Augusta Office: (207) 287-3841
- Celeste Poulin, Director
- Ben Metcalf, Inspection Program Manager (207) 287-4979
- Michelle Newbegin, Inspection Process Analyst Coordinator
Presque Isle Office: (207) 764-2100
- Michael Swimm, Inspection Process Analyst Coordinator (State/Federal Inspection Services)
- Joe Brooker, Inspection Process Analyst Coordinator (207) 764-2115
State relay number for the hearing impaired or for inquiries about aids for the visually impaired (documents in large print or Braille): TTY Maine Relay 711