Teaching Integrated Pest Management in the Classroom—High School Curriculum
High School Lessons by Subject
Selected Lessons: Grades 9-10
Browse the list below to find lessons of interest and then find the corresponding lesson on the host website above.
- Johnny Appleseed Would be Proud
- "GM"...It's Not Just a Car Anymore
- Hooper Hunt
- Hygiene for Horror
Selected Lessons: Grades 11-12
Pesticide and Toxic Substance Exposure Awareness Project: Inquiry Based Curriculum Enhancements
This curriculum offers inquiry based research projects for upper level high school students. It covers a wide range of pesticides and toxic substance examples used in modern society and explores both the positive and negative attributes of these chemicals.
- Tri-fold brochure
- Curriculum Introduction
- Pesticide and toxic substance lessons and supporting materials
- Chapter 1: Global Distillation: The Fate and Transport of Toxic Chemicals into the Artic—alignment
- Chapter 3: Synthetic Organic Chemicals: Plastics—alignment
- The full Pesticide and Toxic Exposure curriculum includes 7 chapters of research topics, accompanying teacher powerpoints, and classroom activities.
Selected Lessons: All High School Grades
Greenhouse IPM Lessons from Pennsylvania State University
- Greenhouse Lesson Overview
- Lesson 1: Anyone's Town
- Lesson 2: "Whatcha got there?"
- Lesson 3: How many Pests are There?
- Lesson 4: Aphids, Aphids Everywhere!
- Lesson 5: We Have What You Want!
[Photo: (old world bollworm) W. Billen, Bugwood.org]