Home > AG Initiatives
Heating Fuel Assistance Fact Sheet
The fact sheet is a resource guide only! It does not provide legal or policy guidance or advice. Please contact individual organizations for the most current and accurate information.
Heating fuel customers seeking fuel assistance and legal guidance as a result of a heating oil, kerosene or propane delivery disruption to their homes should consult with the following organizations:
- MaineHousing - Offers a variety of energy assistance and energy conservation programs for consumers and administers the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) to help low-income homeowners and renters with their heating costs. MaineHousing and other organizations will be participating in a session on Saturday, February 12, 10am - 2pm at the Curtis Memorial Library, 23 Pleasant Street, Brunswick to give advice regarding the needs of and resources available to home owners, including LIHEAP sign-up for eligible citizens. Please call 1-800-452-4668 or visit www.mainehousing.org.
- Maine Energy Marketers Association - Representing heating oil and propane providers serving more than 415,000 Maine households. The heating fuels industry is working with former Thibeault Energy customers to make sure that the customers are taken care of. To find a dealer near you, call 1-888-863-3753 or visit www.maineenergymarketers.com/dealers.
- Community Action Agencies- Partners with state and local communities to assist Maine residents who may not be eligible for limited federal, state or local fuel assistance programs.
- 2-1-1 Maine- Connects callers to trained specialists who can help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week finding answers to fuel assistance questions. As quick and easy as dialing 2-1-1 or visiting www.211maine.org.
- Office of the Attorney General, Consumer Protection - The AG has issued consumer protection rules that regulate the sale of home heating oil, including provisions ensuing that dealers deliver the product for the agreed price under prepaid plans. The AG is taking calls and complaints at (207) 626-8849. Please visit www.maine.gov/ag/consumer for more information.
- Maine Credit Union League - Credit unions offer fuel assistance loans and programs. www.mainecul.org
- Maine Legislature- Search by town or zip code to find out who your elected officials are (US Congress, state senator and representative) to assist you with questions regarding heating fuel and other energy related constituent issues, please visit www.maine.gov/portal/government/edemocracy/lookup_voter_info.php.
- Governor's Office of Energy Independence and Security - Works with federal, state and regional government officials and private and nonprofit sectors, to provide fuel supply and monitoring functions, advise on energy emergencies and energy policy and communicate with petroleum operators and dealers during an emergency. Call (207) 287-8927.