Maine in the Olympics
July 17, 2012
As the 530 athletes comprising Team USA arrive in London for the 2012 Olympic Games, we note how over 45 states are represented by this team. Maine’s lone representative is rower Eleanor Logan of Boothbay Harbor who won Olympic gold rowing in the 2008 Games in Beijing.
With the Maine State Library’s introduction of our monthly Book Talks, we look back at Maine’s previous representatives at the Games: Joan Benoit Samuelson (women’s marathon, Los Angeles, 1984), Ian Crocker (swimming, Athens, 2004), Anna Goodale and Eleanor Logan (rowing, Beijing, 2008), and Seth Wescott (snowboard, Turin, 2006; Vancouver, 2010) and chose Benoit-Samuleson’s memoir, Running Tide.
Listen to a captioned video or read a longer narrative about Running Tide: http://www.maine.gov/msl/services/booktalk/
- Eleanor Logan, Notable Mainer, http://www.maine.gov/msl/maine/notdisplay.shtml?id=61275
- Borrow Running Tide from the Maine State Library catalog: http://ursus.maine.edu/search/t
- Sign up for a Maine State Library card: http://www.maine.gov/msl/services/libcard.htm
- Borrowing FAQs: http://www.maine.gov/msl/services/borrow.shtml
Share a Comment
- Please include the title of the news article you are commenting on.