Receiving Feedback and Criticism
- Link: Receiving Feedback and Criticism
- Topic: Management - Personnel Management
- Level: Elective
- Sponsor: WebJunction/Skillsoft
- Format: self paced online
- Contact Hours: 1
NOTE: You must have a WebJunction Skillsoft Learning account to access this course. Instructions for setting up an account are in the yellow box on the right side of the Voluntary Certification Homepage.
Click on the link above and enter your learning account login and password. Follow the path below to find the course.
Catalog > Communication & Interpersonal Skills > Receiving Feedback and Criticism
We all need feedback so that we can learn and improve. Sometimes feedback is on target, and its usefulness is apparent. Other times it may not be as easy to receive. Being able to receive feedback and criticism appropriately without getting your emotions involved is an essential skill for success in the business world. People in an organization need to be able to receive corrective feedback effectively, whether from someone in authority, a direct report, or a peer. Doing so allows you to better understand your colleagues' concerns, calm potentially heated exchanges, and solve issues efficiently. This course starts by exploring the reactions that typically occur when a person receives corrective feedback or criticism. You will also learn an approach that you can use to help you receive feedback in a productive manner and then have a chance to practice receiving feedback using that approach. Materials designed to support blended learning activities aligned with this course are available from the Resources Page.
- recognize the relationship between people's reactions to feedback and their ability to use it to effect change in their performance or behavior
- identify the types of statements one might make to negotiate a resolution
- receive corrective feedback effectively