Resource Guide: COMPLAINTS

Last Updated; June 28, 2021

ADA Technical Assistance Program, Department of Justice


Client Assistance Program

Disability Rights Maine
160 Capitol Street, Suite 4
Augusta, ME 04330
800.452.1948 (V/TTY)
207.626.2774 (V/TTY)
207.621.1419 (FAX)

Disability Rights Maine-Deaf Services
1 Mackworth Island, Bldg. C
Falmouth, ME 04105
207.797.9791 (FAX)

If you wish to request assistance via our website, visit Website:

The Client Assistance Program is a federally funded program that provides information, assistance, and advocacy/direct representation for people with disabilities who are applying for or receiving services under the Rehabilitation Act. Programs under this legislation include Vocational Rehabilitation, Independent Living Services and Projects With Industry. Services from CAP are free of charge.

Closed Captioning Complaints

If you have a complaint about closed captioning contact the station and tell them what the problem is.

Major local television stations (all television stations telephone numbers are Voice only):

ME PBS - 1-800-884-1717
WCSH - 1-800-464-1213 or E-mail:
WGME - 228-7787 or E-mail:
WMTW - 775-1800 or E-mail:
WPXT - 774-0051 X131
WPFO FOX - 228-7787 or E-mail:

ME PBS - 1-800-884-1717
WCSH - 1-800-464-1213 or E-mail:
WMTW - 782-1800 or E-mail:

WABI - 947-8321 X160 or E-mail:
WLBZ - 1-800-464-1213 or E-mail:
WVII - 945-6457 X3127 or E-mail:

Presque Isle:
WAGM - 764-4461 X222 or E-mail:

If contacting the station directly doesn't work, you can complain, in writing, to the broadcasting company (if you use an antenna for TV reception) or to the cable company (if you have cable) or to the satellite company (if you use a satellite dish).

Sample complaint letters are available on the NAD website NAD File Complaints
or call Nancy Winter at the Division for the Deaf, Hard of Hearing & Late Deafened for help.

You may also file a complaint to:

Federal Communication Commission (FCC)
445 12th Street SW, Room 6C-447
Washington, DC 20554
1-888-835-5322 (TTY)
1-888-225-5322 (V)
1-866-418-0232 (FAX)

Disability Rights Maine

160 Capitol Street, Suite 4
Augusta, Maine 04330
207-626-2774 x236 (V/TTY)
1-800-452-1948 (V/TTY)
207-621-1419 (FAX)

Disability Rights Maine (DRM), the statewide protection and advocacy agency for people with disabilities, is a private, nonprofit organization independent of state government. In partnership with people with and without disabilities, DRM promotes and enhances the rights of people with disabilities so they can choose to live, receive education, work, be with family and friends and enjoy life in the community of their choice. DRM advocates for people with legal-rights problems directly related to their disability by:

  • providing information about legal rights and service systems.
  • referring people to appropriate services.
  • individually representing people in meetings, hearings and court.
  • working for service system reform and change.

Disability Rights Maine-Deaf Services

Civil Rights Program
See AGENCIES chapter.

Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS)

ADA/Equal Employment Opportunity Coordinator
11 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0011
287-4289 (V)
287-3488 (V)
TTY Users Call Maine Relay 711

DHHS has a policy to provide interpreters and has trained staff to use Maine Relay 711 in State offices. To report any difficulty in obtaining accommodations, contact one of the DHHS ADA/EEO Coordinators.

Maine Human Rights Commission

51 State House Station
19 Union Street
Augusta, ME 04333-0051
TTY: Maine Relay 711
624-6290 (V)
624-8729 (FAX)
Website: Maine Human Rights Commission

The Maine Human Rights Commission is the state agency charged with the responsibility of enforcing Maine's anti-discrimination laws. They receive and investigate complaints of unlawful discrimination in employment, housing, education, access to public accommodations, and extension of credit. They attempt to resolve those complaints to the mutual satisfaction of all who are involved. They may pursue a remedy in court when alternative solutions have failed.

Maine Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program

61 Winthrop Street
Augusta, ME 04330
1-800-499-0229 (V/TTY)
621-1079 (V/TTY)
621-0509 (FAX)
Website: Maine Ombudsman

An advocacy program for long-term care consumers, the Ombudsman Program provides advocacy services for consumers of home health services and for residents in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities.

Maine Medical Center (MMC)

ADA Compliance/Care Management
22 Bramhall Street
Portland, ME 04102
662-3847 (V)

MMC is committed to providing qualified, sign-language interpreters within one hour of a request; offering interpreting to all deaf and hard-of-hearing patients and involved family members, providing TTYs and videophones for patient and visitor use, captioning on all TVs, amplified handsets and assistive listening devices for hard-of-hearing people.

State of Maine/A.D.A. Accessibility Coordinator

150 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333
Eric Dibner, ADA Accessibility Coordinator
623-7950 (V)
TTY Users Call Maine Relay 711
287-5292 (FAX)
Email: Eric.Dibner@Maine.Gov

The State ADA Accessibility Coordinator is responsible for ensuring that all state services and programs are accessible to people who have disabilities. These responsibilities include:

  • Help resolve complaints about disability discrimination and respond to requests for accommodation.
  • Coordinate State compliance under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, and the Maine Human Rights Act.
  • Provide training and technical assistance.
  • Review agency implementation of ADA compliance plans.

    If you have any complaints about disability discrimination or accommodations in state services or programs contact Eric Dibner at the above number.

    U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
    Office for Civil Rights
    Region I
    John F. Kennedy Building, Room 1875
    15 New Sudbury Street
    Boston, MA 02203
    (617) 565-1343 (TTY)
    1-800-368-1019 (V)
    (617) 565-1340 (V)
    (617) 565-3809 (FAX)
    Website: Office for Civil Rights

    If you believe discrimination has happened to you or anyone else because of race, color, national origin, age, sex, disability or religion by a health care or human services provider (such as hospitals, nursing homes, social service agencies, etc.), you or your representative may file a complaint with the Office for Civil Rights (OCR).

    Office for Civil Rights complaint process: Complaints usually must be filed within 180 days (6 months) from the date of the alleged discriminatory act.