File A Complaint

You can submit an online complaint to the Bureau of Consumer Credit Protection regarding a:

  • Auto Dealer Credit Sale
  • Check Diversion Program Operator
  • Check Casher
  • Consumer Reporting Agency
  • Debt Collector (including Repossession Companies and Property Preservation Service Providers)
  • Debt Management Service Provider
  • Employee Leasing Company
  • Foreign Currency Exchanger
  • Foreclosure Purchaser
  • Exchange Facilitator
  • GAP Waiver Administrator
  • General Creditor
  • Litigation Funding Provider
  • Loan Broker
  • Loan Officer
  • Loan Servicer
  • Money Transmitter
  • Non-Bank ATM
  • Pawnbroker
  • Payroll Processor
  • Private Student Lender
  • Real Estate Settlement Agency
  • Rent-to-Own Company
  • Sales Finance Company
  • Student Loan Servicer
  • Supervised Lender (including Payday Lenders)
  • High-Rate High-Fee Mortgage Counselor

Please note, we can only assist Maine consumers

It is important to remember that the Bureau does not act as the complainant's attorney. The Bureau does not have the power to adjudicate complaints. If a dispute turns on facts that do not involve a supervised entity's violation of a specific law or regulation (such as a matter concerning a financial institution’s exercise of internal policies or guidelines), the Bureau may not have the authority to obtain the relief a complainant is seeking. In that case, the Bureau will advise the complainant about other ways to pursue the complaint, such as through consulting a private attorney and/or initiating a court proceeding.

File your complaint online
Download complaint form (PDF) and mail to:

Department of Professional & Financial Regulation
Bureau of Consumer Credit Protection
35 State House Station
Augusta, Maine 04333

Call the Office

Telephone: 800-DEBT LAW (800-332-8529, toll free in Maine) or 207-624-8527
TTY for hearing impaired: 888-577-6690