Hiring Foreign Workers

The Maine Department of Labor does not issue work visas or conduct certification for employers seeking to bring foreign workers to the United States. For more information on those programs, visit the U.S. Department of Labor, Division of Foreign Labor Certification.

Labor Laws

Foreign workers employed in Maine are subject to State and Federal Labor laws. For more information about how these laws apply, or to file a worker complaint, visit the Maine Monitor Advocate website.

Recruitment of U.S. Workers

If your company is seeking foreign worker certification under certain work visas programs, you may be required to recruit qualified workers in the United States through the Maine's JobLink at the CareerCenter.

Foreign Workers in Logging Industry

Several sections of Maine labor law govern the employment of foreign logging workers employed with visas through the H2-A program. These workers are commonly referred to in the industry as "bonds." The foreign workers in the logging industry section of this site includes information on proof of ownership requirements for logging equipment operated by foreign workers.