Home → Priorities & Accomplishments → Honoring Veterans Who Serve Our Country
Honoring Veterans Who Serve Our Country
- Created a tuition waiver program for all Maine National Guard members to the University of Maine System, the Maine Community College System, and Maine Maritime Academy.
- Removed the income tax on Military pensions.
- Launched a new veterans website providing a single site to access all services for Maine veterans: www.maine.gov/veterans
- Reformed veteran preference in state hiring and retention to provide veterans and Gold Star spouses with a meaningful advantage in applying for employment with the State of Maine.
- Launched the award-winning Hire-A-Vet campaign, finding jobs for more than 500 veterans to date, including attracting veterans from out of state to relocate to Maine.
- Signed legislation to ensure veterans and military spouses seeking employment in professions that require Maine licensing are given credit toward licensing requirements acquired during military training, education and experience.
- Established a Military Service Designation driver's license, allowing veterans who are otherwise ineligible for retiree or VA identification to receive military and veteran discounts at stores and restaurants.
- Developed a Gold Star License Plate program that was later amended to broaden the eligibility to Gold Star families whose loved one was killed while on active duty, but not in combat.