Fighting Crime, Protecting the Public
- Signed legislation to add sex trafficking as a crime under Maine law.
- Increased the pay of the State Police, Warden Service, Marine Patrol, Capitol Police and other state law enforcement agencies to address recruitment and retention issues.
- To address the heroin epidemic, led the effort to add 200 substance-abuse treatment beds at the Maine Correctional Center in Windham.
- To combat Maine's increased drug problem, led the effort to hire an additional 13 new agents with the Maine Drug Enforcement Agency, bringing the total number of MDEA agents statewide to 52.
- Eliminated the requirement that someone obtain a concealed carry permit before they can carry a firearm, allowing Mainers to protect themselves.
- Established the Intensive Mental Health Unit (IMHU) at the Maine State Prison in Warren that houses the state's most dangerous, mentally ill offenders for the prison system and county jails.