Municipal Committees: Candidates, Referenda & BQCs


The laws governing ballot question committees apply to municipal ballot questions in all Maine towns and cities. If your organization qualifies as a ballot question committee because of its involvement with a municipal ballot question in a town or city of 15,000 or more people, your organization will have to register and file reports with the municipal clerk. For municipalities with fewer than 15,000 people, you will have to register and report with the Ethics Commission. You can view the guidebook for municipal ballot questions here21-A M.R.S. § 1056-B

Organizations and others seeking to influence municipal candidate elections and ballot questions may be required to register and file reports with the municipal clerk as a political action committee or a ballot question committee. (30-A M.R.S. § 2502(2))

Candidates, PACs and BQCs who must file with their municipality can obtain the necessary registration and reporting forms from their town clerk. Please see the table below for contact information for the towns in Maine with a population of 15,000 or more:

City/Town Website Telephone
Auburn Auburn City Clerk Office (207) 333-6601
Augusta Augusta City Clerk Office (207) 626-2310
Bangor Bangor City Clerk Office (207) 992-4220
* Bar Harbor Bar Harbor Town Clerk Office (207) 288-4098
Biddeford Biddeford City Clerk Office (207) 284-9307
Brunswick Brunswick Town Clerk Office (207) 725-6658
Gorham Gorham Town Clerk Office (207) 222-1670
Lewiston Lewiston City Clerk Office (207) 513-3124
Portland Portland City Clerk Office (207) 874-8610 
Saco Saco City Clerk Office (207) 284-4831
Sanford Sanford City Clerk Office (207) 324-9125
Scarborough Scarborough Town Clerk Office (207) 730-4021
South Portland South Portland City Clerk Office (207) 767-3201
* Standish Standish Town Clerk Office (207) 642-4678
* Union Union Town Clerk Office (207) 785-3658
Waterville Waterville City Clerk Office (207) 680-4211
Westbrook Westbrook City Clerk Office (207) 591-8131
Windham Windham Town Clerk Office (207) 892-1900

*Bar Harbor, Standish, and Union have elected to be subject to the provision of Chapter 13 with respect to referenda and initiatives, but not candidate elections. (30-A M.R.S. § 2502(2))