Out of State PACs

A political action committee organized outside of Maine may be subject to the same requirements as a PAC organized under Maine law. If an out-of-state PAC - through efforts to influence a Maine campaign - meets the definition of a political action committee, it must register and report  in the same manner as a PAC organized in-state.

An out-of-state PAC is not required to register and file reports if:

  1. the PAC’s only financial activity in the state is making contributions to other PACs, party committees, ballot question committees, or candidates registered with the Commission or municipality, and
  2. the PAC has not raised or accepted any contributions during the calendar year to influence an election or campaign in Maine.

21-A M.R.S.A. § 1053-B