Municipal PACs & BQCs

Towns and cities with a population of 15,000* or more are subject to the campaign finance provisions (Chapter 13) of the Maine Election Law. (30-A M.R.S.A. § 2502) Organizations that meet the definition of a political action committee or a ballot question committee and that receive contributions or make expenditures to influence a municipal campaign in towns or cities subject to Maine Election Law must register and file campaign finance reports with the municipal clerk of the town or city. (21-A M.R.S. § 1053-A)

Municipal Referenda

The laws governing ballot question committees apply to municipal ballot questions in certain town and cities. If your organization qualifies as a ballot question committee because of its involvement with a municipal ballot question in one of those towns and cities, your organization will have to register and file reports with the municipal clerk. Please contact your town clerk or view the list of participating towns to find out if this applies to your organization.

Legal Reference

Municipal Ballot Question Committees:
21-A M.R.S. § 1056-B