WIC and Retail Grocery Stores
Maine WIC authorizes hundreds of stores around the state to accept WIC benefits for specified food items. Not every store qualifies to sell WIC products, but most grocery stores and many independent stores are authorized.
Maine eWIC is here!
What is eWIC?
A card with a magnetic strip that contains WIC food benefits for a WIC household to purchase WIC-approved food at authorized WIC retailers.
The benefits of eWIC are invaluable to the Maine WIC Program. Vendors will enjoy advantages that include, but are not limited ot the following:
- eWIC allows for faster purchasing at the register and improved customer service.
- Vendors experience labor savings because transactions require customers to swipe a card, and no longer require the counting and processing of food instruments (Fls) and cash value vouchers (CVVs).
- Checkout process is more efficient because completion of Fls/CVVs is not required.
- Vendors are paid faster as payments are directly deposited into their bank account through an automated clearing house (ACH).
- Less error prone, because approved foods, effective dates and benefit amounts are validated by the system, and not cashiers, at the time of the transaction.
- Many issues related to printed Fls and CVVs are eliminated.
- An easier, quicker and more secure checkout.
- Reduced vendor staff training.
- Signature verification is no longer required.
New Approved Food List
- Effective April 13,2020, New Approved Food List (PDF)
- Summary of changes to 2020 WIC Approved Food List (PDF)
Food Item Waivers
Food Waivers extend until 30 days after the end of the nationally-declared public health emergency. WIC customers will be able to temporarily substitute eligible product. WIC customers can choose:
- Cheese - one 12 ounce package
- Eggs - two 6-count or one 18-count egg carton
- Whole Wheat/Whole Grain Bread - an authorized whole grain in package sizes up to 24 ounces:
- Great Value Whole Wheat Bread 20 Oz
- Nature’s Own 100% Whole Grain Bread 20 Oz
- Nature’s Own 100% Whole Wheat Bread 20 Oz
- Pepperidge Farm whole Grain Soft Sprouted Bread 22 Oz
- Sara Lee 100% Whole Wheat Bread 20 Oz
- Signature Select 100% Whole Wheat Bread 22 Oz
- Wonder 100% Whole Wheat Bread 20 Oz
If you have other food products that would fit this criteria let us know SubmitUPCWIC@maine.gov.
Maine eWIC Vendor Call Minutes
eWIC Milestone (PDF)
List of Point Of SaleProviders/Value Added Resellers (PDF)
Help Make Our Program Better
WIC vendors play an important role assisting clients to obtain appropriate WIC foods. We value your input and suggestions. Contact Us.
- Monday - Friday 8am-5pm
- Phone: (207) 287-3991
In-state Toll Free:
TTY: Maine relay 711
- Mailing address:
11 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333
Phone Numbers for
your local WIC clinic
- Auburn: 207-795-4016
- Augusta: 207-626-6350
- Bangor: 207-992-4570
- Bath: 207-442-7963
- Belfast: 207-338-1267
- Biddeford: 207-283-2402
- Calais: 207-454-3634
- East Wilton: 207-645-3764
- Ellsworth: 207-667-5304
- Machias: 207-255-8280
- Portland: 207-553-5800
- Presque Isle: 207-768-3026
- Rockland: 207-594-4329
- Sanford: 207-459-2942
- Skowhegan: 207-861-3593
- Waterville: 207-861-3580