Zoonotic Diseases Train the Trainer Course
The Zoonotic Diseases Train the Trainer course is designed to provide youth leaders and educators (especially those with agricultural ties) with a comprehensive course designed to be used to educate kids on zoonotic diseases and how to prevent them.
This course contains:
- PowerPoints relating to zoonotic diseases and biosecurity
- Activities designed to supplement the material presented in the PowerPoints
- Supplemental educational materials
How to Access the Course
The course is free to use, download, print, and share. There are three ways of obtaining the course.
- Download the entire course through the full zip file (preferred)
Of note, some activities require materials that must be ordered, such as Germ-O.
- Pick and choose specific documents that you want to download by reviewing the list below.
- Receive a hard copy of the course by mail. Materials will be given with preference to youth leaders and educators.
*Please email email@example.com if you would like to order a hard copy of the complete course or supplemental materials including the matching game, Germ-O, Glo-Germ, and Germ Swap.
Full Course (contains all materials listed below)
Course Materials by File
- Healthy Animals, Healthy People (PowerPoint)
A PowerPoint created as an introduction to zoonotic diseases and biosecurity.
- Agritourism (PowerPoint)
A PowerPoint focused on agritourism trends, their importance to agriculture, and biosecurity.
- Activity 1 Matching Game (Zip)*
This matching game was developed by Maine CDC employees and is aimed towards younger kids using vocabulary from the Healthy Animals, Healthy People PowerPoint. Alternatively, you may use the words and definitions to make your own game.
- Activity 2 Zoonotic Diseases Course (Zip)
This course is adopted from Iowa Center for Food Security and Public Health. It is designed to be an independent or group activity aimed towards younger kids.
- Activity 3 Germ-O (PDF)*
This sheet contains directions on how to play the Germ-O card game which was developed by Maine CDC and Department of Agriculture employees working on the Influenza Education Among Youth in Ag project. Designed for kids of all ages.
- Activity 4 Glo-Germ (PDF)*
This pdf contains instructions on how to implicate the Glo-Germ materials for use in teaching youth about zoonotic diseases.
- Activity 5 Germ Swap (PDF)*
An activity adopted from Ohio State University that uses chemicals to replicate how germs can spread without being noticed.
- Zoonotic Diseases Crossword Puzzle (PDF)
An easy crossword puzzle using zoonotic diseases terms.
- Discussion Questions (PDF)
Short answer questions aimed to start the discussion of zoonotic diseases and biosecurity.
- Z-Mag for 4-H'ers Activity Booklet (PDF)
A printable packet aimed for use with younger kids based around One Health ideas, including a crossword puzzle.
- Glossary (PDF)
A glossary of common terminology used in the zoonotic diseases discussion.
- Zoonotic Diseases Fact Sheet Bundle (PDF)
ME CDC fact sheets on Campylobacter, Cryptosporidiosis, Influenza, Salmonellosis, and Shiga Toxin Producing E. coli.
- One Health Overview (PDF)
A one health overview made from a collaboration of several health organizations in Arizona, including Arizona Department of Health Services, that discusses the meaning of one health.
- Petting Zoo Best Practices Checklist (PDF)
A checklist from Minnesota Department of health that outlines important factors in hosting a petting zoo.