Disease Surveillance Epidemiology Program
Lyme Disease Resources for Educators (5th grade curriculum)
The following educational materials have been provided for a pilot tick education program for school nurses and 5th grade teachers. The program is called "Ticks: Know Your Enemy". Materials were assembled by the Maine Vector-borne Disease Working Group, Youth Education Subcommittee. These materials are also available to the general public.
“Ticks: Know Your Enemy” Educational Powerpoint Presentation
- PowerPoint narrated by Doug Rafferty (Note: This PowerPoint is 124MB - it will take some time to load, and it is not recommended you attempt to view/download this file if you have a dial-up connection)
- Teacher’s notes (PDF*)
Sesame Street Movie “Lyme Disease: Facts for Kids
You may download Do a Tick Check (42MB) or view it below.
Lyme Disease Resource Links
- Know Your Ticks! Bookmark (PDF*)
- Know Your Ticks! Wallet card (PDF*)
- Student Activity Worksheets (PDF*)
- CDC Insect Repellent Guide (Word* | also in PDF*)
Activities for Students
"Ticks: Know Your Enemy" 2008 Pilot Program - Teacher Feedback Survey
This feedback survey was developed for educators who have integrated "Ticks: Know Your Enemy" into their 5th grade curricula. Completed surveys give the Youth Education Subcommittee members pertinent information to improve the “Ticks, Know Your Enemy” program. All surveys are confidential and are only shared among committee members.