Well Water Quality
The Environmental and Occupational Health Programs provide advice to private well owners on well water safety. We are available by telephone to provide help interpreting the results of well water tests. Call us at 866-292-3474 (toll-free in Maine), or 207-287-4311, or Maine Relay 711.
Resources for Private Well Owners
- Wellwater.maine.gov - a website to link to state agencies that deal with well water
- Video: How to Test Your Well Water - watch this short video to learn how to do a water test
- New Video! Understanding Your Well Water Test Results - this short video shows you how to understand the results you get from the laboratory when you test your well water
- Brochure:Is Your Well Water Safe to Drink? (PDF) - A brochure identifying for what and how often you should test
- Tipsheet: Have you tested your well water for arsenic? (PDF)
- Tipsheet: Arsenic in Your Well Water (PDF)
- Tipsheet: Uranium in Your Well Water (PDF)
- Tipsheet: Corrosive Water Problems (published by the Penn State Cooperative Extension)
- Data: The Maine Tracking Network has data about chemicals commonly found in private wells for Maine towns and counties, and the state.
Resources for Communities
Organizations interested in learning more about the drinking water that comes from private wells in Maine can use these resources to plan and evaluate community prevention activities, apply for funding, and monitor this important environmental health issue in Maine.
- A study of arsenic in Maine well water answers important questions about bathing and treatment options.
- Table of Maximum Exposure Guidelines, December 2016 (PDF)
- Summary of the 2016 Updates to the Maximum Exposure Guidelines (PDF)
- Maximum Exposure Guideline for Radon in Drinking Water (PDF)
- Procedures for Developing Maximum Exposure Guidelines (PDF)
- MTBE in Maine Drinking Water-Executive Summary (PDF)
- MTBE in Maine Drinking Water-Full Report (Preliminary) (PDF)
- List of labs certified to test well water in Maine
- Maine Drinking Water Program: Information on Private Wells for Homeowners.
- EPA's Office of Groundwater and Drinking Water
- Maine Radiation Control Program. For questions about Radon.