Ensuring that high-quality health coverage is affordable and accessible is a critical component of the Department’s work to promote the health of Maine people. In addition to expanding coverage through MaineCare, the Department leads several cross-cutting and intra-governmental efforts to promote health coverage options, address high premiums and out-of-pocket costs for consumers, and take steps to impact the underlying costs of health care.
CoverME Enrollment Campaign
Launched by DHHS with support from the Maine Health Access Foundation and a grant from Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, CoverME is a statewide campaign to promote affordable health insurance options. The campaign includes a website, CoverME.gov, with resources to help consumers, self-employed people, and small businesses learn about coverage options, find local assistance, and start enrollment applications. The Department promotes CoverME.gov and coverage options through an advertising campaign and through collaboration with community partners providing outreach and direct enrollment assistance, particularly to underserved populations.
News and Updates
- May 12, 2020 – New Release: “Mills Administration Launches Campaign to Remind Maine People to Explore Their Health Coverage Options in the Face of COVID-19”
- December 13, 2019 – Op-Ed, Scarborough Leader, “Governor Mills: Don’t forget to visit CoverMe.Gov if you need health insurance before Dec. 15.”
- December 12, 2019 – News Release: DHHS joins PCHC in reminding Mainers to enroll in health insurance coverage
- December 10, 2019 – Editorial, Bangor Daily News, “Editorial Board: Don’t let politics dissuade you. It’s time to sign up for health insurance.”
- December 9, 2019 – Op-ed, Bangor Daily News, “Commissioner Lambrew: Maine has options for affordable health coverage. Now is the time to sign up” (PDF of op-ed).
- November 14, 2019 – Weekly Column: “Gov. Mills: Open enrollment has begun. Have you signed up?”
- November 1, 2019 – News Release: Governor Mills Kicks Off Open Enrollment by Urging Mainers to Explore Health Insurance Options Through CoverME.gov
- October 4, 2019 – News Release: Governor Mills Announces “CoverME” Campaign to Boost Health Coverage in Maine
- October 2, 2019 – Radio Address: Governor Mills: Visit www.CoverME.gov to find out if you qualify for affordable, quality health care coverage.
LD 2007 - The Made for Maine Health Coverage Act
LD 2007, The Made for Maine Health Coverage Act, would make some of the most common medical visits free or less costly, simplify shopping for a plan, leverage federal funds to help make premiums more affordable for small businesses, and put Maine in the driver’s seat to ensure that all Maine people have clear choices for their coverage. To learn more, please see the LD 2007 fact sheet.
News and Updates
- March 20, 2020 – Request for Information: State Based Marketplace Transition
- March 19, 2020 – News Release: “Governor Mills Signs Bill to Improve Health Insurance for Maine People and Small Businesses”
- March 5, 2020 – News Release: Legislative Committee Unanimously Endorses Governor Mills’ Bill to Improve Health Insurance for Maine People & Small Businesses
- February 5, 2020 – News Release: Major Organizations Endorse Mills, Gideon & Jackson Bill to Improve Health Insurance for Maine Small Businesses & Self-Employed People
- January 8, 2020 – News Release: Mills, Jackson & Gideon Announce Bill to Improve Health Insurance for Maine People and Small Businesses
- August 29, 2019 – News Release: Governor Mills Announces Maine Will Pursue a State-Based Health Insurance Marketplace Under the Affordable Care Act
- August 29, 2019 – Event: Governor Mills, Department of Health and Human Services, and Bureau of Insurance Host “All In: A Forum on Coverage and Affordability” (Event materials and recording can be found at the bottom of this page).
Prescription Drug Importation Program
On June 24, 2019, Governor Mills signed in to law a package of drug pricing reform legislation, including LD 1274, An Act To Increase Access to Low-cost Prescription Drugs. This law directs the Department of Health and Human Services to develop a program to allow for the wholesale importation of prescription drugs from Canada and to submit a proposal to the federal Secretary of Health and Human Services to approve the Maine program. The Department submitted an initial application on May 1, 2020, and is awaiting the outcome of the federal rulemaking process which will establish parameters for program approval.
News and Updates
- May 15, 2020 – DHHS Rulemaking: Finally Adopted Major Substantive Rule: Wholesale Prescription Drug Importation
- May 1, 2020 – Submission of Application to Operate a Section 804 Prescription Drug Importation Program (PDF)
- March 3, 2020 – Blog Post: Prescription Drug Importation Update
- February 18, 2020 - Bangor Daily News, “Maine Moves Closer to Importation of Medicine from Canada.”
- January 23, 2020 – Blog Post: Opportunities for Input on Prescription Drug Importation
- January 14, 2020 – DHHS Rulemaking: Provisionally Adopted Major Substantive Rule: Wholesale Prescription Drug Importation Program
- December 23, 2019 – U.S. HHS Rule: Importation of Prescription Drugs
- November 14, 2019 – Blog Post: Moving forward with prescription drug importation
- July 31, 2019 – News Release: Governor Mills Welcomes Federal Policy Change on Importation of Prescription Drugs
- July 31, 2019 – U.S. HHS News Release: HHS Announces New Action Plan to Lay Foundation for Safe Importation of Certain Prescription Drugs
- June 24, 2019 – News Release: Governor Mills Signs Into Law Comprehensive Prescription Drug Reform Package
All In: A Forum on Health Care Coverage and Affordability in Maine
On August 29, 2019, Governor Janet Mills convened health care leaders from Maine and the nation to discuss strategies to improve the affordability and accessibility of coverage for Maine people. Strategies discussed included insurance reforms, Health Insurance Marketplace ideas, Federal waiver options, and addressing underlying health costs.
Materials and Presentations
A video recording of the event is available upon request.