A select list of background reading on some of the ideas and strategies that were discussed during the forum.
Insurance Reform Options
- Covered California, "Report on Merging the Small Group and Individual Insurance Markets" (2018)
- State of Maryland, "Analysis of Merging Markets for the State of Maryland"
- Health Affairs Blog, "Final Rule on Health Reimbursement Arrangements Could Shake Up Markets"
- NAIC, "Interstate Health Insurance Sales: Myth vs Reality"
- Health Affairs Blog, "Court Invalidates Rule on Association Health Plan"
- Manatt, "The Landscape of Federal and State Healthcare Buy-in Models: Considerations for Policymakers"
- State Health and Value Strategies, "State Medicaid Buy-Ins: Key Questions to Consider"
- Health Affairs Blog, "Public Option 1.0: Washington State Takes An Important Step Forward"
State Innovation (1332) Waivers, Reinsurance, and Related Strategies
- CMS, "Steps for States Considering a 1332 Waiver"
- KFF, "Tracking Section 1332 State Innovation Waivers"
- KFF, "State Actions to Improve the Affordability of Health Insurance in the Individual Market"
- State Health & Value Strategies, "State Reinsurance Programs and 1332 Waivers: Considerations for States"
- Scott Harrington, "Stabilizing the Individual Health Insurance Markets with Subsidized Reinsurance"
- Urban Institute, "State Efforts to Lower Cost-Sharing Barriers to Health Care for the Privately Insured"
- Commonwealth Fund, "Expanding Enrollment without the Individual Mandate: Options to Bring More People Into the Individual Market"
Health Insurance Marketplace Options
- Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, "Health Reform: Designing a Marketplace"
- Georgetown CHIR, "States Opt to Run their Own Exchanges to Save Money, Reclaim Autonomy"
- NASHP Blog, "'So, You Want to Build a State-based Marketplace? Here's How!' Advice from Marketplace Leaders"
- Jane M. Zhu, Daniel Polsky, Yuehan Zhang "State-Based Marketplaces Outperform Federally-Facilitated Marketplaces"
- Mark Hall, "Health Insurance Markets Perform Better in States That Run Their Own Marketplaces"
- National Academy of State Health Policy, "Standardized Benefit Plans: a Tool for Consumers?"
- RAND, "Prices Paid to Hospitals by Private Health Plans are High Relative to Medicare and Vary Widely"
- The Commonwealth Fund, "Getting to the Root of High Prescription Drug Prices: Drivers and potential solutions"
- FDA Law Blog, "A Roundup of New State Laws to Control Drug Prices"
- Katherine Sapra, Katie Wunderlich, and Howard Haft, "Maryland Total Cost of Care Model: Transforming Health and Health Care"
- ProPublica, "In Montana, a Tough Negotiator Proved Employers Don't Have to Pay So Much for Health Care"