Please note we are a tobacco-free and fragrance-free campus. Thank you for not smoking or wearing heavily scented products.
8:30 am to 8:00 pm daily
The Hospital is governed under laws established by the Maine Legislature to provide care and treatment for inpatients, both voluntary and court committed. DDPC is part of a comprehensive mental health system of services within the State of Maine, which includes community mental health centers, private psychiatric hospitals and private providers.
Please follow the Visitors' Guidelines to protect the safety, rights and privacy of visitors and patients alike.
- Upon arrival at DDPC all visitors are required to check in, show a photo ID, and obtain a visitor’s badge. The visitor must identify whom they plan to visit, and staff must confirm that the patient can accept visitors before the visitor is allowed to proceed to the unit visitor room. Please wear your visitor’s badge at all times and return it before departing the hospital.
- Depending on the nature of the visit, visitors may be asked to sign a Confidentiality Agreement.
- All visitors must be screened upon arrival. All items not being delivered to the patient may be stored in your vehicle or in a locker at the Main Entrance.
- Security/Switchboard Staff will notify the unit that the visitor has items for the patient. Unit staff will then account for and catalogue these items. Any items identified as contraband or prohibited items will be removed from the hospital by Security Staff or the visitor. Unit staff and/or the Nursing Supervisor will assess the situation to determine if visitation is deemed safe at this time.
- Alcohol and alcohol-based products such as mouthwash, cologne, aftershave, perfume.
- All caffeinated beverages.
- Glass items i.e. bottles, jars, mirrors, keepsakes, ceramics, vases.
- Long chains, pins, necklaces, ties, scarves, shoelaces, clothing with drawstrings.
- Unsealed food.
- Spiral notebooks, letter openers, tape dispensers, pencils, pens, paperclips.
- Illegal and non-illegal street drugs including spice, K2, bath salts, etc.
- Medications (prescribed and over the counter).
- Flammable items (i.e. lighters, lighter fluid, flints, matches, fireworks, etc.)
- No cans, can lids, pull tabs.
- Aerosol cans, paints, perfume, model glue, household chemicals.
- Cigarettes, cigars, loose tobacco, chewing tobacco, rolling papers, pipes, snuff, e-cigarettes
- Weapons: knives, clubs, tools, etc.
- Curling irons, hair dryers, hairspray, nail polish.
- Cameras, hand-held video games, personal computers, iPods, tablets, electrical cords, chargers.
Patient Food Policy
To promote optimal physical health every patient will have a medical staff order for a diet that meets their medical and nutritional requirements.
Food may be brought in by visitors with the following restrictions:
- Based on their individual circumstances there may be limits imposed by the treatment team on the type and amount of food that may be brought in.
- Items must be in factory sealed containers - single serving/portion size.
- Please no metal or glass containers.
- No caffeinated beverages including soda, coffee, energy drinks, etc.
All food and beverages brought in will be inspected by Security prior to a patient receiving it.