Concerns About Patient Care/Safety
If you have patient care and safety concerns, you are encouraged to address the issue through Dorothea Dix’s grievance process. Patients wishing to file a grievance can request a form from any staff member on their inpatient unit. If your concerns cannot be resolved through that process, you may contact The Joint Commission on hospital accreditation at (800) 994-6610.
If you are a Medicare beneficiary and have a complaint regarding quality of care, disagree with a coverage decision or wish to appeal a premature discharge, you may contact:
Livanta-Beneficiary and Family Centered Quality Improvement Organization (QIO):
- Toll-free: 1-866-868-2289
- TTY: 1-866-868-2289
- Fax for appeals: 1-855-236-2423
Other Feedback and Concerns
We welcome the opportunity to learn about care issues or concerns you or your family may have experienced at Dorothea Dix Psychiatric Center (DDPC).
It's always best to first speak with the manager of the department you have a concern with, and they will work diligently and professionally to address your questions, issues or concerns.
If reaching out to the department manager is not effective, you may submit a letter of concern to the Quality Improvement Office and we will act as a liaison between you and the department or practice.
What to Include in a Letter of Concern
- the date of service;
- staff involved;
- the nature of your complaint;
- and what we can do to address your concerns.
How to Submit Feedback and Concerns
You may share your feedback by:
- Using the online form to send a confidential message. Your communication will be held in the strictest of confidence. If you like for us to contact you about your concern/suggestion, please fill in the fields on the top of the form (name, phone number, email address) and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
- Filling out a paper form. These are available for patients in their units and in the main lobby for visitors
- Calling 1-207-561-5813 and leaving a message describing your concern
- Mailing a letter to:
Director of Quality Improvement
Dorothea Dix Psychiatric Center
PO Box 926
Bangor, Maine 04402-0926
The Quality Improvement Office will review your concerns and share your letter with top level administrative staff and other managers as needed, and they will investigate and work to resolve your concerns in a timely manner (typically 7-10 business days).
Once administrators provide Quality Improvement with feedback, we will follow up with the person who submitted the letter of concern and provide a written letter of response.