DACF Home → Bureaus & Programs → Bureau of Agriculture → Division of Animal and Plant Health → Animal Welfare → Animal Welfare Applications, Licenses and Guides
Animal Welfare Applications, Licenses and Guides
On this page:
- Applications & Licenses
- Animal Rescue Forms
- Importation of Dogs & Cats
- Brochures & Handouts
- Manuals & Guides
- Municipal Forms & Information
Applications and License Forms
- Vendor License & Instructions (PDF), also available in (DOC)
- Application For Boarding Kennel License (PDF)
- Application For Breeding Kennel License (PDF)
- Application For Pet Store License (PDF)
- Application for Pig/Calf Scrambles (PDF), also availble in (DOC)
- Research Facility Application (PDF)
Animal Rescue/Shelter Forms & Information
Starting an Animal Rescue? It's a difficult process that has to be well thought out and properly planned in order to ensure your animal rescues success. This link will help in the planning process for creating an animal rescue and navigating most of the legal requirements necessary to properly operate within the State of Maine
- Application For Animal Shelter License (PDF)
- Starting a Maine Non-Profit Checklist (Nonprofitmaine.org)
- UC Davis Virtual Shelter Consultant - This survey will help shelters compare current sheltering standards to what their shelter is doing. It is a tool that can help prevent diseases and protect the animals in the shelters care.
- Guidelines for Standards of Care in Animal Shelters (PDF) - Association of Shelter Veterinarians
- Charitable Organizations that collect donations must have a Charitable Organizations and Professional Solicitors license. Apply for License
Importation of Dogs and Cats into Maine for Resale or Adoption
The following contains information for individuals who wish to import dogs or cats into Maine for resale (sales to pet shops or other retail outlets) or for adoption (rescue groups who plan to bring dogs into Maine to be adopted by another person). If you are an out-of-state organization, you MUST be affiliated with a licensed pet shop or shelter with a physical address in Maine. This is due to the required quarantine (holding) period before animals can be released for sale or adoption. Import permits will only be released to Maine-licensed organizations. Maine’s rules are very specific for animals in this classification and they include the following:
- Minimum age: 56 days.
- Certain core vaccinations required.
- Tests required for dogs >180 days old: lyme disease, heartworm, ehrlichiosis.
- Holding periods: 48 hours for animals over six months; five days for animals less than six months.
- Certificate of vaccination within 30 days of importation and health record must accompany animals.
- All organizations importing animals for resale or adoption must be a licensed pet shop or shelter and must hold a valid import permit with the Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry.
- Other provisions can be found in the link to the rule below.
- Note: For pets travelling with their owners, the only requirement for dogs and cats to enter Maine is documentation that the animal is current on their rabies vaccination.
- Importation Rule (DOC)
- New License / Renewal Permit Application (PDF)
- Facilities Holding Import Permit (PDF)
Manuals, Guides and Booklets
- Animal Welfare Law Book (PDF) - Updated January 2022
- Municipal Animal Control Best Practices (PDF)
- Maine Rabies Management Guide 2017 4th Edition (PDF) - Revised 2017
Municipal Forms and Information
- Monthly Dog License Report - Fillble (PDF)
- Municipal Clerk Instruction Book 2016 (PDF), also available in (DOC)
- Municipal Update Form (PDF) - Including updating ACO information.
- 2022 Reconcile Tags Form (PDF)
- Municipal Calendar (PDF), also available in (DOC)
- Chapter 721 (PDF) also available in (DOC)
- Chapter 725 (PDF), also available in (DOC)
- Municipal Order Forms (PDF)
- Request to Participate Form for Online Dog Licensing - Application for towns to participate in Online Dog Licensing
- Service Dog Verification (PDF) - Not a registration form, fee waiver only